How to remove SQL Express?

Started by
2 comments, last by remdul 16 years, 7 months ago
Few days ago I downloaded MS SQL Express 2005 Advanced and I tried to install it but then an error window popped up. Here is a screenshot of that window. Then I opened my Control Panel and Add/Remove programs and noticed that there already is an older version of SQL Express installed which came with MS Visual Studio. But the problem is that I cannot remove it. When I click on it (in Add/Remove window) there is no Remove button. I need to remove that older version in order to install the new one. Please help! P.S. If the topic doesn't belong to this forum, do not hesitate to move it. Thank you, VB_master.
Every man dies, not every man really lives...Black Dawn Games
Advertisement
Welcome to MSI Hell!

This is one of the problems frequently caused by MS Installer. The good thing is that you did nothing wrong, the bad thing is that it is hard to work around (this defective behavior is by-design).

There's a tool called MsiZap:

Google Cache (MSDN is down again)

You'll want to use the T command option.

If you no longer have the original installer, you will first need to find the MSI hash key. You may want to search for the key with Regedit first (i.e. needle-haystack style).

Also, you'll probably need the original .msi file due to the wonders of MSI. If you are lucky Microsoft still hosts the file somewhere.

If you are really pissed you can use this command:

msizap *

Be careful though, this effectively destroys all MSI related stuff. You'll no longer be able to uninstall anything, but hey, that isn't possible anyway.

Good luck!
Ok, I have downloaded the MsiZap file. What do I get rid of by using MsiZap * command? I don't want to remove other programs, just the SQL Express part.
Every man dies, not every man really lives...Black Dawn Games
Ok, what you need to do is to find the key that is associated with the MS SQL Express 2005 Advanced product. Keys look something like {684FA5EB-5222-47eb-8448-C14391005105} . What you should do is open up regedit, and search for "SQL Express 2005" or something similar.

Once you have the key, run MsiZap and pass the key with the T option. Then try if you can install again.

If it doesn't work, search for more keys that might have something to do with it and zap them.

Now there is a risk you screw things up, but then again, the whole MS Installer thing is broken already. That's why Microsoft even created this tool in the first place.

I know these are kinda vague instructions, but it really is just a gamble, there's no manual. Just zap anything that looks suspicious. From my experience it is pretty hard to screw things up in the Windows registry, and I never had any problems zapping stuff, but your mileage may vary.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement