Wii Console Development

Started by
4 comments, last by frob 16 years, 7 months ago
Hi all! I'm looking for information on game development for the Wii console - such as programming and production costs. Also, what else is involved in the overall process? We are looking to develop a game, possibly multi-player, but don't have the slightest idea about the process. If anyone has any information on ballpark costs and what's involved I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks a bunch!
Advertisement
You need to be a registered and approved developer with Nintendo.
Just under $2000, for the development kit. But they really haven't release what all comes with the kit or what other tools you need for development on the Wii.

theTroll
Here is the Nintendo developer support page. You can email them about licensing inquiries.

In order to become a licensee, they generally expect you to have prior experience (and ideally shipped products).
Thank you so much for your replys!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that we would not be developing the game. We would be hiring an outside vendor. We just need to get all the pros and cons together, along with costs, and present our case.
But unfortunatly i'm unaware of programming and production costs aside from the licensing fees.
>> If anyone has any information on ballpark costs and what's involved I would greatly appreciate it!

>> Sorry, I forgot to mention that we would not be developing the game. We would be hiring an outside vendor.

Contracting a major Wii title with an 18 to 36 month development time will probably run anywhere from 2M to 8M USD if developed in the United States, depending on countless factors.

Labor is the most significant cost.

Most titles take 18-24 months to develop, although some take less than a year (such as EA's annual sports games with small incremental changes each year) while others can take four years or more.

As a group contracting the work, you will need to work with the executives and producers at the studio.

You will also want to work with a publisher, although if you have the resources you might take that role up with your company's own distribution network. It would be easiest to go through a major publisher, but nothing strictly forces you to. Manufacturing, marketing, distribution, and all other post-production costs can be as much or more than the product's development costs.

You will advise them to your own IP, trying to guide the producers at the studio to fit your vision. Your role is mostly adversarial in order to keep everything in line. If you are able to clearly communicate your goal and the group catches the same vision you have, then things will go relatively smoothly. If you are not able to communicate clearly, or if they have a different vision than you have, then things will not go quite as well. It is important to remember that they have experience making games and you do not, but it is also important to remember that it is your project that they are making, and your IP they are impacting.

Do you have any specific questions about the process? I'm a senior engineer so I know most of the production process, but there are many producers and experienced professionals on the board who know post-production details.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement