DX coder trying to use OpenGL...

Started by
10 comments, last by sysmark 22 years, 11 months ago
How does the way matrices are handled scare you? You can pull it off the way D3D does if you really want to using glLoadMatrixf and your own Matrix class. I personally prefer to use glPopMatrix, glPushMatrix, glTranslate, glRotate, glScale, glMultMatrix, and glLoadIdentity to having to deal with the matrices on my own in more than half of the cases. And, remember than OpenGL is a state machine, which is a little different to what you''re used to (I think state machines are actually really cool ).

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://druidgames.cjb.net/
Advertisement
I learned 3D maths, 3D hardware, then Direct3D6 (nobody''s perfect), it was boring and not really nice IMO.
When the 7 was released I''d to change much of my code, I find this even more boring, then thought about OpenGL.

I bought red and blue books, and discovered how well OpenGL fits with the hardware and how logic it is.

In fact OpenGL is far better designed than Direct3D ever was or is (I checked D3D8), it''s more logical (for people having knowledge) and it''s not windows only. [This point is very important now that I know many OS and only use BeOS]

I suspect that most Direct3D coders don''t really know about the hardware, 3d techs and maths, and only rely on ''tutorials'', which make them think they know, while it''s not really the truth.

(Don''t get me wrong, I don''t mean that all D3D coder don''t fully understand what he does.)

The more I know about 3d (I still need to buy and read some books to be at a ''good'' level IMO), the more I feel confortable with OpenGL.

This is a personnal point of view, feel free to disagree, but don''t flame.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement