Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wazoo69

Game Engine design advice please..

Okay so I''m trying to design a multi-purpose game engine for programmers, which encapsulate (so some degree) the Directx/OpenGL api...okay okay...I know that EVERYONE these days seems to have their own engine.. I guess this is more an excercise for myself, plus then I could (hopefully) quickly release a few games based on this engine.. I''ve got the Renderer class figured out (which is a base virtual class which OGLRenderer and D3DRenderer are derived and implemented in separate DLL''s which load up during the runtime of the application using this library).. What I want to figure out, is some kind of messaging system that the engine can use to "notify" listeners with...crappy explanation I know... I guess I''m dreaming of some kind of "MCP"-type core which would be responsible for sending messages to listener objects... Am I making any sense?? Has anyone here had "Game Engine" design experience that they wouldn''t mind sharing a few tips with me??? I''m planning to add in "Camera" objects, "Input" objects, scriptable "Entity" objects, etc...so I think a central nervous system messaging component might be warranted... thanks for any help, Wazoo

I have a question for you:

When I try to use Direct3d in a DLL something goes wrong, as no .LIB file is generated and no functions/methods are exported. Everything works fine when I try it with DirectInput. Did you have the same problem, and if so, how did you solve it?

As for your problem, check your mailbox.

sysmark: I''ll mail you some code as to how I did it..

basically you have to export two functions from your direct3d dll...createinterface and destroyinterface (or whatever)

These take in a pointer to your class which is inside the DLL...then inside these functions in the DLL it properly creates a new instance of the class for you to use..

like I say, I''ll mail you the code which demos what I mean..

Wazoo