Side Scrolling

Started by
14 comments, last by caffeineaddict 22 years, 5 months ago
True, some articles have been removed from the site, but it''s still got all the good stuff a game developer needs to know. It doesn''t cover any specific APIs or anything, but does cover video modes, color, 2d and 3d math. It''s... well, cool.
Advertisement
tryforfulluse: Umm I''d hate to shatter your dreams but why would you use Isometric tiles for a side scroller? The ground is mostly flat, yeah, so you can get away with square tiles! Seeing as they''re much more efficient to draw. Also, about having the view top down but remaining a "scroller" like mario bros... hmm... I''d say a big no no... look what happened with Ultima 8 (*shudders*) Although if you pulled it off it could be kinda fun
caffeineaddict: sorry I just realised you were asking a question. Anyway, about your side scrolling engine. If you are getting great frame rates etc etc and your engine is easy to manage then who cares if someone else did it some other way? Who knows, maybe you''ll come up with a brand new way of making games that no one''s ever thought of, simply because you didn''t just copy someone''s tutorial?
T
A
N
S
T
A
A
F
L

is almost like ---->

T-There
I-Is
N-No
S-Such
T-Thing
A-As
A-A
F-Free
L-Lunch
hey caffine:

i am working on a little side scroller for my friends senior project,and to tell you the truth, there isn't much in the way of resources. I am having trouble with the smooth scrolling aspect so far, but here is a screenie from my little side scroller:

http://www.neo-toshi.com/Screen1.JPG

but that is as far as it goes. the character, "Spark" jumps, and runs with a limited animation, and there are no stats and such yet, they go at the bottom, and well, yeah. All the art work is done with photoshop. I am hard coding everything since the thing is due by the first of december. I want at least one level done. Wishful thinking, no?

sorry caffine, but maybe i can help with theory or design aspects if you need the help.

p.s. i hate showing such an early version of the game. it makes it look bad.

Neo-Toshi - The City That Never Sleeps

Edited by - Ferinorius on October 28, 2001 2:46:21 PM
forgot some stuff.

i hate to do this, but here is the picture to take a gander at whilst we are here so you can understand my explanations and desires:

I want three levels of scrolling. The palm tree level will scroll by much faster than the ocean and island background, but not as fast as the tiles. I want it to look cool, i guess a similar effect that the super mario game for the Game Boy Advance has.

I also seem to be having trouble with the scrolling. When i press the button to move, i move the world camera''s x position opposite the direction the player hit. THe world scrolls, but only the viewport. after the viewport is past, nothing is displayed. As if the camera is moving past the blitted sections and we cant see it. Otherwise, everything else works.

Can anyone help with this problems or give any kind of advice or insight to these for caffineaddict or i?

Neo-Toshi - The City That Never Sleeps

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement