Almost a Candidate for the Darwin Awards

Started by
45 comments, last by Avatar God 16 years, 6 months ago
lawl

she was wearing a freaking breadboard

and the breadboard wasnt even fully loaded
"a low level aho master like you couldn't kill me even if I let you"
Advertisement
I wonder how she would have done in some other country’s airport.
Ya know, like maybe an airport in Israel. How far would she have gotten and what would have happened to her after airport security saw her?

Quote:Original post by Mithrandir
Since when does a circuit board and LED's look anything like a bomb? Seriously, some people need to get a grip on reality.

I don't know, maybe you could fill me in on what a bomb is supposed to look like? Because clearly everyone in this thread has some predetermined notion of what a real bomb looks like versus a "fake" bomb. And of course this difference must be easy to spot from however many meters away.

In someone was going to make a bomb and smuggle it into the airport, they would
A) HIDE IT, and

Um, why? Read Avatar God's post. At my hometown airport, LAS, which is the 5th busiest airport in terms of movement and 11th busiest in terms of passenger traffic worldwide, there is literally only a few dozen meters between the area where you drop off passengers and the ticketing counters. On any given day there are always hundreds if not thousands of travelers densely lined up waiting to check their bags in that terminal. Why would a potential suicide bomber need to hide the bomb if his target is only a 5 second run from where he's dropped off? My point is that you're basing your assumption on the fact that the bomb actually has to be smuggled somewhere over a lengthy period of time, or that a bomber wouldn't want people or authorities to see it - not always true.

B) ACTUALLY HAVE A BOMB

Well of course, but you wouldn't actually know that until it blows up in your face, or you're able to subdue the person (preferably without lethal force) and determine whether or not they really have a bomb.

What's with all the assumptions in this thread about what bombs are supposed to look like, or how suicide bombers are supposed to behave? Is there some standard operating procedure for suicide bombers that you're all privy too and I somehow missed? Everyone here is against racial profiling (myself included), which is making assumptions about who is more likely to be a threat based on race, however no one seems to have a problem with assuming a suicide bomber wouldn't actually wear a detonator (i.e. circuit board with LED's) on their person or carry the explosive (i.e. Play-doh) in their hand. I mean, who would do that, right?

Let's just hope they don't call our bluff.
At first I thought it was yet another ridiculous overreaction like the Aqua Teen Hunger Force "bomb scare", but the article has this sentence: "Simpson had Play-Doh in her hands, he said."

Then it's harder to tell whether the device is a bomb or not; to a paranoid security guard, the Play-Doh could be plastic explosives. When you add fake explosives to the circuit board, it seems more reasonable to confront her and make sure she doesn't "trigger the device".

I think it would be possible to make a detonator that looks like that. I don't know how much energy is required to ignite plastic explosives, but even a few capacitors from disposable cameras can give you a pretty big energy pulse, and they could be charged from a 9V battery. That said, I don't see any capacitors like that on a circuit, but I wouldn't expect a security guard to know the difference.

That said, after it was clear that it wasn't a bomb, arresting her and pressing charges is still a huge overreaction.
I'd expect a real bomb would be a few simple components linked to the explosive. It could easily look like what a 10-year-old would make on a breadboard.

Arresting the girl is extreme, but she should have been stopped and checked out. You can't count on bombers to be sensible and hide their bombs...
My question is, did any of the people milling around have the sense to notice it and either question her about it or notify an authority?

My other question is, does the human race stand a chance? [smile]
Quote:Original post by nagromo
At first I thought it was yet another ridiculous overreaction like the Aqua Teen Hunger Force "bomb scare", but the article has this sentence: "Simpson had Play-Doh in her hands, he said."

Then it's harder to tell whether the device is a bomb or not; to a paranoid security guard, the Play-Doh could be plastic explosives. When you add fake explosives to the circuit board, it seems more reasonable to confront her and make sure she doesn't "trigger the device".

I think it would be possible to make a detonator that looks like that. I don't know how much energy is required to ignite plastic explosives, but even a few capacitors from disposable cameras can give you a pretty big energy pulse, and they could be charged from a 9V battery. That said, I don't see any capacitors like that on a circuit, but I wouldn't expect a security guard to know the difference.

That said, after it was clear that it wasn't a bomb, arresting her and pressing charges is still a huge overreaction.
This is what I commented earlier. It was the right thing to do for the security personnel to take immediate action when Simpson was seen. Perhaps giving some clear reasons of the problems of wearing such clothing and a strict warning would have been more appropriate measures after detaining her.

It feels that there has been some procedure in place so that the hands of the authorities were more or less tied after she was spotted and detained. At least it feels really awkward if this is not the case. In that case I could also ask that why is airport any different from, say, a park in the downtown with plenty of people? Of course a police could detect her shirt there too, less likely though she'd be equally harshly dealt with.
---Sudet ulvovat - karavaani kulkee
As a side point, how does anyone make it to the airport wearing circuit boards without getting beaten up?
You know, I found out about this story from this thread. As I read through the responses I thought it was another case of paranoia.

Then I saw this picture of what she was actually wearing:

And was like "Hmm you know that actually looks like a bomb." I was in the Army for 6 years and worked with alot of explosives, and that definitely looks like the component of a bomb, especially since she was carrying play doh with her.

Would we be having the same conversation if she had taken something that looked like a gun to the airport?
Of course it looks like a bomb. It was meant to look like a bomb: she wanted to get a reaction, and that's exactly what happened. This is exactly the thing that terrorists do - they scare the living shit out of people. And while she may not be comparable with those who actually do carry out destructive things and kill people mercilessly, she certainly did try to create a nuisance and a scare.

No jury is going to believe that this this little rich MIT brat is innocent and is the victim of a misunderstanding - they're going to see her for what she is and the DA is going to do everything they can to paint it that way.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement