!! DON'T READ THIS MESSAGE !!

Started by
12 comments, last by PSioNiC 22 years, 11 months ago
there''s a sneaky way of getting attention I NEED code for the D3DXIntersect function. If anybody has seen, attempted, or used this code, PLEASE LET ME KNOW !!! i have been trying to get this function to work since i was a fetus (thats an exaggeration)
"This is stupid. I can't believe this! Ok, this time, there really IS a bug in the compiler."... 20 mins pass ..."I'M AN IDIOT!!!"
Advertisement
hi,

i have briefly tried that function, but couldn''t get it to work. I could have been using a parameter wrong, i just wanted to see if it would work.

I have seen a number of other posts about D3DXIntersect (maybe yours), but havn''t seen any one post how to use it.

I wish that MS would give developers source for DX (yah right) so we could see how it actually does stuff, this would make problems like this easier to solve.
Well, to my knowledge, Microsoft is not responsible for implementing those functions for DirectX. I think that is the task of the hardware manufacturers. MS is only responsible to give the interfaces of the functions. I''m not sure if that is true. I just read something about it in a book, but maybe I get this wrong
visit DyingHour
LongingForDeath/
Well, surely D3DXIntersect is nothing to do with the video card or the drivers, it's just a math function MS have coded themselves. It's certainly not a feature any DX supporting video card can perform. I think the same is probably true of a lot of the D3DX functions.

Edited by - simon_brown75 on April 26, 2001 5:18:53 AM
PSioNiC:
I haven''t tried the intersect function, but I have gotten the D3DXBoxBoundProbe() to work. Have you tried going that route? If you need more info just ask
Make sure directX is in debug mode (you can set this stuff in the control panel), and move the slider for debug output level in the direct3d tab to more. this will ensure directx prints all errors and you will be able to tell what parameters and stuff are wrong.

Edited by - LeeIsMe on April 28, 2001 11:05:21 AM
Yes i would like to see your code for D3DXBoundBoxProbe()
Its not exactly what I am looking for but it is a start.

And about debug mode, how does that work?

My computer is running with 2 monitors, I think that helps. I have to disable the second monitor though when I run any d3d app though cause it will crap out if i don''t.

Are their any special functions you have to call to setup debuging with multi monitor ?
"This is stupid. I can't believe this! Ok, this time, there really IS a bug in the compiler."... 20 mins pass ..."I'M AN IDIOT!!!"
actually that is a different topic all together, so I will start a new thread for that one.

please though, more D3DXIntersect information wanted !!!
There''s a helper function called D3DXComputeBoundingBox(). Use this by passing the vertex buffer for your object to it, as well as 2 D3DXVECTOR3 objects bboxMin and bboxMax (create these as public members in your object class). Then follow the Pick sample included with the sdk(it will show you how to create the ray origin and direction, which is needed). Just substitute a call to D3DXBoxBoundProbe() at the appropriate place (which returns a bool). If you have problems let me know, because I just went through all of this with a current project for work. This is usually used for mouse picking, but can be mutated for many other purposes

Good luck;
Prairie
That sounds pretty cool, but it still doesn''t top the power of D3DXIntersect.

What you are saying to do is like a work around for us crap coders who can''t get an already written function to work

I''d rather just try to get the real thing working.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement