• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
docdoc52

tech writer needs help

This topic is 4018 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm a tech writer at a small game company. I have to write a book introducing and explaining our platform to game developers. This book will not discuss APIs. I'm not a programmer or a game developer. I have little support from our busy engineers. I'm looking for the following suggestions: - Any book that describes a platform from the perspective of what a game developer needs to know. - Any suggestions from real game deveopers about what they need to know about a platform. Thanks in advance, docdoc52

Advertisement
We need WAY more information than this to start providing any sort of help. What kind of platform are you talking about? What sorts of developers (indie/small studios/mega corporation/whatever) are you targeting this books towards? Is this something for the programmers to read, or something that designer, producers, and artists would be reading as well?

You are very smart.
The audience is programmers for casual games. The platform is C++. The book I need to write is not for artists, designers or producers.
Thanks for the quick response.

Quote:
The audience is programmers for casual games. The platform is C++. The book I need to write is not for artists, designers or producers.

So, users?

What will the book cover if not API? Is there a GUI? Code snippets? Building blocks? Will it require users to compile the application and write C++ code? If so, then you can't skip the API.

Apparently it's not marketing material, but it will not contain any useful information that would help developers. Does it have some external scripting system?

Does it need to cover installation? Who will provide you with steps and checklists for that?

What is intended coverage? Tutorial on making a game? On using the menus? Is it a guide, reference manual, user's guide, tutorial, what size, illustrated, with code, with step-by-step instructions, overview document?

Who *will* provide you with information on how to do this things if not engineers? Do you have other writers? Beta testers? Existing users?

What's the profile of user? How much knowledge is required? What pre-requisites?

If this is in C++, then there's not much to discuss except APIs. "Game developers" will read a code tutorial, and start coding. "Casual users" will not know C++ unless they can copy paste your code.

So many questions, so many topics, so many different aspects...

Unless you mean something else under "book". Books are usually at least dozens, but often hundreds of pages.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!