• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dreams05

How to do 2d after c++/windows programming?

This topic is 4016 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I now have programmed many applications using c++ for the console, and some for in windows, and I have finished, and reviewed articles/tutorials/MSDN about creating basic directX interfaces(initializing window, drawing triangle, 3d triangle, texturing,lighting, meshes), but I am still not clear on how to do a basic 2d game using C++ and directX. -Direct draw is no longer used- so what do I use? Just do direct3d- maybe create different surfaces, apply textures and use those as backgrounds/movable objects/main character? I am trying to start, like the guide suggested, with tetris or something simmilar, but am not sure which way just to create - say a image of a block, move it around on screen, add to it to make something usable. Any advice? (I am trying to start with something I can adapt later to 3d, or complicated 2d, which I am hoping is possible to do with directX-and later openGL[leanring directx first])

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!