How to do 2d after c++/windows programming?

Started by
0 comments, last by Nytegard 16 years, 6 months ago
I now have programmed many applications using c++ for the console, and some for in windows, and I have finished, and reviewed articles/tutorials/MSDN about creating basic directX interfaces(initializing window, drawing triangle, 3d triangle, texturing,lighting, meshes), but I am still not clear on how to do a basic 2d game using C++ and directX. -Direct draw is no longer used- so what do I use? Just do direct3d- maybe create different surfaces, apply textures and use those as backgrounds/movable objects/main character? I am trying to start, like the guide suggested, with tetris or something simmilar, but am not sure which way just to create - say a image of a block, move it around on screen, add to it to make something usable. Any advice? (I am trying to start with something I can adapt later to 3d, or complicated 2d, which I am hoping is possible to do with directX-and later openGL[leanring directx first])
Advertisement
Yes, if you're just doing 2D programming in Windows, D3D using orthographic projection is probably what you want.

After that, think of it how you'd normally write 2D games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement