Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MagusCT

Converting x,y,z coordinates to x,y coordinates

Is there a simple mathematical formula that converts x,y,z coordinates to x,y coordinates? I read somewhere that the formula was: X=x/z Y=y/z I tried that, but I didn''t seem to work. I don''t want the code for a whole 3d engine, just that formula. I would be thankfull for any help!

this surely works anyway...
X = x/(z+1);
Y = y/(z+1);

where 1 is a constant descibing your distance from screen...

If your camera is facing down the z axis, it is at the origin and the plane of the screen is z=sz then similar triangles says that px/pz=sx/sz and py/pz=sy/sz where (x,y,z) is the coordinates of the point and (sx,sy) is the coordinates on the screen. So sx=(px*sz)/pz and sy=(py*sz)/pz will do a perspective projection of the point onto the screen. The easiest way to picture what you are doing is looking through a window marking points on the window so that they line up with the object you are viewing.

You need to account for the fact that the centre of the screen is not (0,0) by adding half the width to the x coord and half the height to the y coord. Some pseudo code:

const SCREEN_WIDTH = 640
const SCREEN_HEIGHT = 480
const HALF_SCREEN_WIDTH = SCREEN_WIDTH / 2
const HALF_SCREEN_HEIGHT = SCREEN_HEIGHT / 2

x = x / z + HALF_SCREEN_WIDTH
y = x / y + HALF_SCREEN_HEIGHT

However, since most 2D graphics systems have the y axis upside down, this will make all graphics appear upside down. So instead you can use this formula:

x = x / z + HALF_SCREEN_WIDTH
y = HALF_SCREEN_HEIGHT - y / z

Now, to optimise this formula, notice how /z is done twice, you can find the reciprical (sp?) or z and multiply instead like this:

temp = 1 / z
x = x * temp + HALF_SCREEN_WIDTH
y = HALF_SCREEN_HEIGHT - y * temp

This is actually fast because a * operation is alot faster than a /. Notice how the constant 1 is used in this new formula, well you can change this to zoom the camera in/out like this

const ZOOM = 256
temp = ZOOM / z
x = x * temp + HALF_SCREEN_WIDTH
y = HALF_SCREEN_HEIGHT - y * temp

It just so happens that in the graphics I was programming now 256 was a good value for zoom, you can experiment to find what''s best.

Hope that helps

The normal viewing angle in games is 90 degrees, which would require ZOOM to be equal to HALF_SCREEN_WIDTH. The viewing angle in any case is equal to atan(HALF_SCREEN_WIDTH/ZOOM), I think.