standard screen vs widescreen are different texture sets required

Started by
9 comments, last by Palidine 16 years, 6 months ago
I've been adding support lately for any screen size possible, and just got to thinking if the graphics of a game are designed for standard screen (such as a fullscreen background) they'd be stretched is the player used a widescreen aspect ration. So do most games that support both types make two different texture sets, one for standard and one for widescreen?
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
Advertisement
There shouldn't be any need to duplicate resources. The only difference between widescreen and a regular aspect ratio monitor is exactly that - aspect ratio. Your viewport is a different dimension, and you might need to adjust your field of view, but that's it.

At least I am pretty sure about that. I can't imagine having multiple sets of artwork to support different aspect ratios. It would be an absolute nightmare to keep track of, and doesn't make any sense at all.
I probably shouldve mention that its 2D and in Ortho view. So things do get stretched and or there ends up with blank space that is wasted.
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
Ah, that makes a bit of a difference. Still though, why not just show more of the game world (more tiles)?
I'd have to agree with Moe's suggeestion here. Just add more tiles and show more of the game world if that's feesable.
an interesting take on that matter is capcom's port of street fighter 2 to HD.

at bars and such, TV football games broadcasted in standard def are always stretched.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I play starcraft stretched all the time. It feels perfectly fine.

If you're really concerned, you'd want to change the FOV to display more screen real estate, as described above. Even if you wanted to it the dumb way, it seems that you wouldn't want to change the textures - you'd need to scale the geometry.
in regards to the previous post, stretched games look like shit.

now, to save you the time of reading the capcom sf2 dilema, there are two ways it can be done, one is to increase screen real state, by having more stuff visible in the X axis, and render the same stuff Y wise, the other is to decrease it, by rendering the same things X wise, but clip more stuff in Y. increasing X is the normal method (at least in the few games i have played) unless screen edges are very important for the gameplay, in which case, as done by capcom, the solution is to keep the same window and add ornaments in the sides, therefore keeping a 4:3 window, think about wide screen movie being on regular tv and having black bar in the top and bottom.
Quote:Original post by maximilianjenus
in regards to the previous post, stretched games look like shit.

I play starcraft in 16:10 too and it's really no problem.

Quote:
now, to save you the time of reading the capcom sf2 dilema, there are two ways it can be done, one is to increase screen real state, by having more stuff visible in the X axis, and render the same stuff Y wise, the other is to decrease it, by rendering the same things X wise, but clip more stuff in Y. increasing X is the normal method (at least in the few games i have played) unless screen edges are very important for the gameplay, in which case, as done by capcom, the solution is to keep the same window and add ornaments in the sides, therefore keeping a 4:3 window, think about wide screen movie being on regular tv and having black bar in the top and bottom.

that's fine if you can guarantee that both players share the same aspect ratio, but for a competitive online game one player seeing more or less of the playfield because he has a widescreen monitor would be horrible. ;)
In regards to a different aspect ratio for competitive multiplayer.

I don't see it being a problem, I mean, the machine has always had an impact on scoring/doing well. A higher end machine displays shadows more clearly, allowing them to spot the sniper in them, a higher precision mouse allows more accurate aim, higher fps also helps you out. So why, now, try to start negating that? Besides, normally you get 70 degrees, how many more would you possibly get on widescreen? Can't be a horribly significant difference, it'd only matter when you passed very closely to someone, mostly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement