• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Pilo

OpenGL Very Poor performances with visual studio express (working well with linux and OSX)

This topic is 4095 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! As the title said I get very poor perfomance with my OpenGL game under windows (I create it with linux, but I want ot make a windows version too). FOr example, with 23 skinned character it runs at about 30fps under linux (AMD sempron + radeon9550), and the same machine, on windows -> 1fps... 40fps with only one character. The skinning code is done with a vertex program (maybe there can be a problem here?). As I am from the linux world, I would like to know if there are a way to check opengl under windows? (like glxinfo for linux). And I hope someone as some key information about this problem... Thank you!

Advertisement
Most likely OpenGL is hitting a software path on Windows.

Tell me,
1. Do you have the latest drivers installed?
2. Are you by any chance using MESA? If you are, I would advise you to use Microsoft provided OpenGL libs instead. I think MESA defaults to a GDI driver under Windows and thus can be very slow.

You can check out OpenGL extension viewer to check out details about OpenGL under Windows

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your answer, I donwload OepnGL extension viewer, it's a great tool to have!

I use microsoft opengl lib file (I got those from the plateform SDK).
Actually it seems to be a problem with shader : GLSL or vertex program gives the same frame rate as software skinning!! (with linux, on the same computer, I get really different behaviour).

If you're using two different driver versions (which seems likely) then there are bad news: different driver versions are allowed have different compilation behaviour. The linux driver may be geared towards for example, using more aggressive opcode optimizations at the cost of quality or vice versa...

Theorically, this behaviour should never conflict with the spec but practically, it happens.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!