Write int to file in python

Started by
1 comment, last by hahaha 16 years, 7 months ago
I want to write an int to a file instead of a char so my cpp program can read it easier. So say for example i have something like this in python:

Out = open("123.txt","w")
Out.write(24)
Out.close()

I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "123.py", line 2, in <module>
    Out.write(24)
TypeError: argument 1 must be string or read-only character buffer, not int
To get it to work i have change Out.write(24) to Out.write(str(24)). That way it writes a char to the file. Is there a way in python to write an int to a file? Thanks
Advertisement
Do you want to write the string representation of an integer to a text file, as your code suggests ("123.txt" and "w" mode instead of "wb"), or do you want to write the binary representation of an integer to a binary file? My question is meaningless if you're on a non-Microsoft system, but I had to ask, because the .txt extension is confusing.

In the first case, it's easy (there might be an even easier way, but I'm no Python expert), as you've found out yourself:

out = open("123.txt", "w")out.write(str(24))out.close()

In the second case, you'll have to use the struct module, IIRC:

import structout = open("123.bin", "wb")    # note: 'b' for binary mode, important on Windowsformat = "i"                   # one integerdata = struct.pack(format, 24) # pack integer in a binary stringout.write(data)out.close()

Reading back from the file:

import structinput = open("123.bin", "rb")data = input.read()input.close()format = "i"value, = struct.unpack(format, data) # note the ',' in 'value,': unpack apparently returns a n-uple

Original post by let_bound
import structout = open("123.bin", "wb")    # note: 'b' for binary mode, important on Windowsformat = "i"                   # one integerdata = struct.pack(format, 24) # pack integer in a binary stringout.write(data)out.close()

I just want to know why you used i as the value of format? If i change it it gives me some or other bad value error

Edit: Sorry i read the link you gave and i realize why now.

Thanks a lot

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement