• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Akela Xeroxz

Guidelines Required

This topic is 4019 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Introduction & Background Information: Hello, I'm new to the whole community... I'm an ICT Student, but I'm losing intrest into it, I want this to be my hobby, I can't learn game development in school... You learn it by doing it, thats my motto... **Edit::** At the age of 16 I got the diagnose of "autism", not that it matters much... but i thought it was worth mentioning. What I want to make: MMORPG with 3D Graphics Several Skills and unique options Trading Ability Combat System PvP area, not trough whole game I have alot more things I want in it but this is enough to start in my personal view... What I'd like to know: Where to even start? does anybody have any guidelines? What programs would I need? What game-engine? or do I create my own? if so, how? Thank you advance, Akela Xeroxz [Edited by - Akela Xeroxz on September 25, 2007 7:49:53 AM]

Advertisement
Can you program? If so, in what languages? If not, are you willing to learn?

There are no click-and-build game construction tools for MMO* games, so you will need to learn to program to build something like that -- although you can leverage middleware make the process easier, it will still take you some time before you will have sufficient skill even consider developing a persistant world multiplayer game. And that first "M" is almost certainly beyond your reach; the sheer amount of content, quality scalability code, networking resources and (most importantly) marketing you need to attract customers of in that volume is just impractical.

If you already know how to program, you have what you need. You don't require any special training or special programs -- game development is no different from any other kind of software development, fundamentally.

If you don't know how to program, you must resign yourself to learning. I would recommend you look into Python or C# in that case.

Either way, you're going to be putting your MMORPG on hold indefinately until you've built some smaller games, probably starting with simple text-based games like tic-tac-toe, guess-the-number, and hangman.

I can program in Java, but I don't think its enough... I'm willing to learn everything I need, and I didn't expect it to be easy ;) thats exactly why I want to do it, I like to develop my skills in hard things... Personaly this game I'd like to make would be for my own personal friends ect, this is my first step into it, when its done, i'm talking in several years if not ten years or more, i'd move on further, this is just to get my expierience from game development, a taste of it :)

Like my teacher always says: "A person who claims to know alot, knows very little about it" meaning, no matter how much you learn or how good you are, you can't ever learn all the things cause its close to impossible...

I'm very dedicated, I've read several tutorials, but very little cover the Java aspect, so I bought the book: " C++, Grand Cru " from Easy Computing to learn the beginning basics...

As I'm getting ready for everything slowly I'd like to know what programs I'd need to get and get the lisences sorted.

Sincearly, Akela Xeroxz

You don't need anything else. You don't need C++. You don't need any extra programs. You know Java? Then use Java. Presumably since you know it, you've already got the tools you need for it. Java is perfectly suitable for game development.

Your next step is to stop worrying about the tools you use -- the ones you have are perfectly adequate and there is no reason to learn more languages or acquire more tools unless your primary goal is the acquision of tools or passable familiarity with languages. I suspect that isn't the case here, I suspect your primary goal is to make some games.

In which case, fire up your IDE and start making one. Haven't made any before? Then I would suggest the above three (guess the number, tic-tac-toe, hangman). It sounds like you might be competent enough with Java that you don't need to worry about doing them with simple text IO, so you could do tic-tac-toe or hangman with some graphics. If you've done games of that calibur before, try pong, or a Tetris clone. I'll defer you to the Java Development forum for inquiries as to your options for graphics in Java, as I don't know enough about the language to speak authoritatively on the pros and cons of the various APIs available.

I just responded to someone else who had a similar question. I think my reply could also help you. The thread can be found here.

This is what I said:
Quote:
Original post by Thanatos454
I have no knowledge of Java as far as game developing goes. I have seen plenty of web games developed in Java but nothing passed that.

From personal experience I would recommend Cpp and DirectX for Windows game development. I suggest you develop a strong foothold with Cpp before starting to learn DirectX. You do need some knowledge of WinAPI in order to use DirectX. Nothing too extensive though.

I would say the main difference between OpenGL and DirectX would be that OpenGL is a cross-platform tool and DirectX is Windows only.

Suggested Books:
to learn beginning Cpp - Beginning Cpp Game Programming
This book a great starting point for aspiring game programmers. It was one of the books we used in my High School Cpp class. My only gripe with the book is that the examples and source have a lot of errors. Make sure you check out the books website to look at the errata documentation. here

to learn DirectX - Introduction to 3D Game Programming with Direct X 9.0c: A Shader Approach
This book covers the basic Win32 stuff you need to know for windows game development in it's Appendix A. I highly recommend this book.

to learn Win32 programming - Programming Windows, Fifth Edition
Get this book if you want to learn more Win32 programming. Not really a necessity.

In case you don't want to spend money on books...
Web Sources:

CPlusPlus Site - www.cplusplus.com
This site covers more of the C++ language than the book I suggested. I'd go through the book and this site at the same time before moving onto DirectX.

Chad Vernon's Site - www.chadvernon.com/blog/
This is where I first started learning DirectX. He also covers managed DirectX.

Two Kings Site - www.two-kings.de
I haven't used this site for anything other than it's DirectX Audio tutorials but it also has other beginning DirectX stuff.

WinProg Site - www.WinProg.net
This is a good online resource for Win32 programming.

In response to:
Quote:
Original post by dual_horizons
Hi!

I know a little bit of C/Cpp and am learning Java at college. Have no knowledge about Windows Programming in C/Cpp though. I would like to develop games for Windows platform. What do I need to do now? Do I need to learn Win Programming in C++ or can I continue with Java?

And secondly what is the difference between OpenGL and DirectX? Which of those do I need to learn? And do I need to know Win Programming to use them? How long does it take to become comfortable with these?

Thanks in advance,
dual_horizons.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!