BSP Legal Issues solved?

Started by
4 comments, last by Mark Tanner 22 years, 11 months ago
Hi everyone, Thanks to everyone for checking out the BSP legal issues as I thought it was quite important. Honestly, it looks like there is no real problem after all. Even though 5K USD is a hefty fee for commercial development for just using the ID tools, the tools make development MUCH easier and you will not likely need to pay this before you sign a publisher/distributor deal. If you do, the 5K should not be a problem, esp. since you have access to Q3 tools. Use the Quake tools during your development and only worry about the fee once you''re ready to go commercial. -finding a publisher will be a lot harder than finding 5K, believe me- Things would be much worse if you''d need an engine license agreement for 100K+. Chris, please stick with the wonderful work you''re doing with the current BSP format. Thanks, Mark
Advertisement
I had a question. A big part of my game is for the players to create their own bsp levels and play multi. Lets assume I buy the 5K license. This gives me the right to use Q3Radient but will the game players be able to do so? Since I''ve purchased the license, do my game''s players have the right to use Q3Radient to make levels for my game?

If someone knows the answer to this question, I''ll be very grateful.
Thanks in advance
I am happy with this response. Consider that you can make a game with quake3 like environments and you don''t have to license their engine for $300,000.

He also said it doesn''t matter if you license it after the game is already published. So you can start making money from it and pay them the license fee afterwards. If you can''t even make 5k back after so many months of work it''s not really worth it anyways.

Chris

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
I was happy to hear the problem was solved but after thinking about it I thought maybe not.
He didn''t exactly say 5000 dollars but he said starting at 5000 dollars. Which means there is more than one type of license and the lowest one is 5000 dollars which might mean some really bad limitations.
I really hope its not true but I don''t wanna use it assuming its 5000 dollars and then find out about some limitations. Is it possible for someone to ask for a copy of what exactly the 5000 dollar license gives us the right to?
Look at the other post titled bsp legal issues...read and it will answer all your questions...

-----------------------------------------------------------
"People who usualy use the word pedantic usualy are pedantic!"-me
-----------------------------------------------------------"People who usualy use the word pedantic usualy are pedantic!"-me
quote:Original post by Ecko

Look at the other post titled bsp legal issues...read and it will answer all your questions...

-----------------------------------------------------------
"People who usualy use the word pedantic usualy are pedantic!"-me

Yes I know. I posted the question before it was answered.

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement