Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should i get a Matrix Geforce 2MX 32MB?

This topic is 6072 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is the "Matrix Geforce 2MX 32MB" a good graphics card? Does it have good opengl/directx support? is it worth 79$? And also, will I need a special motherboard or anything? Now I'm using an ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP2x. So should I buy it? Here's a pic from the website with the description: - Triangles 20,000,000 - Second Generation Engine - nVida Geforce 2 MX GPU - Hardware 256Bit 2 Pipe Rendering engine - 32SDRAM HIGH SPEED MEMORY - AGP X2X4 - 350MHZ RAMDAC - Resolution up to 2048x1536 NVIDIA 2nd Generation Transform and Lighting Engine 25M Triangles\sec through T&L and setup Engine Complete support for Direct X 7.x and OpenGL features. Thanks! Edited by - wolfman8k on April 25, 2001 7:58:11 AM

Guest Anonymous Poster
Maybe I''ve missed something bad about this card type, but looks great to me!

I got an MX based card just the other day, upgrading from a TNT2 M64, and I must admit I am quite pleased with the performance difference between the two. Certainly worth the $200AUS I spent.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by wolfman8k

Is the "Matrix Geforce 2MX 32MB" a good graphics card? Does it have good opengl/directx support? is it worth 79$? And also, will I need a special motherboard or anything?

Now I''m using an ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP2x.

So should I buy it?

Here''s a pic from the website with the description:

- Triangles 20,000,000
- Second Generation Engine
- nVida Geforce 2 MX GPU
- Hardware 256Bit 2 Pipe Rendering engine
- 32SDRAM HIGH SPEED MEMORY
- AGP X2X4
- 350MHZ RAMDAC
- Resolution up to 2048x1536
NVIDIA 2nd Generation Transform and Lighting Engine
25M Triangles\sec through T&L and setup Engine
Complete support for Direct X 7.x and OpenGL features.

Thanks!

Edited by - wolfman8k on April 25, 2001 7:58:11 AM

Get a Radeon LE, it''s only $72, and it has better OpenGL support (IMO)

As a general rule, Geforce is a good line of cards. Nvidia knows what they are doing, when it comes to video hardware. I would say go for it.

If your using your video card for games, don''t even mess with a Radeon. The Geforce series is sooooo much better.

I will hand it to the Radeon in one aspect, though. It does good video editing stuff (from what I''ve heard), and it supports opengl well, too. Don''t get me wrong, the Geforce does too, and I would say just as well. I''ve never seen anything about the Radeon being better than the Geforce, when it comes to supporting OpenGL (or anything else for that matter) I''ve also never heard about any Geforce board not supporting openGL to any extent.

I would say go for the Geforce.

The Kid

I don''''t know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future.

Well i beg the differ, The Nvida Geforce 2 MX that i got was not worth the five finger discount i got for it!

It actuly proformed worse than my TNT 2 M64
I agree that Nvida are doing something right but then they made this they where probly drunk!

The only advantage of it is the amount of power it consumes, which is good for overclocking(You would need to to get anything out of it!)

glThanx3f(GL_SHCIPWA)

Well i beg the differ, The Nvida Geforce 2 MX that i got was not worth the five finger discount i got for it!

I agree that Nvida are doing something right but then they made this they where probly drunk!

The only advantage of it is the amount of power it consumes, which is good for overclocking(You would need to to get anything out of it!)

glThanx3f(GL_SHCIPWA)

glThanx3f(GL_SHCIPWA)

glThanx3f(GL_SHCIPWA)

glThanx3f(GL_SHCIPWA)

Heres my story, ive been useing a VooDoo 3 ever since it came out, i finally decided i wanted something new, Not only have i outgrown this system, but so has the software that is comeing out.

So i go shopping, i browse around looking at everything, seeing alot of the GeForce cards, the i see a laptop that has a GeForce 2, I think no way this laptop out dose my Home PC.

Benchmark time.. My system comes in at a 210% on the benchmark i use, haveing a max fps of 65.

Then i go to the store and try this laptop, it comes in a 2100%, with a max fps of 355. im just astounded.

I say but any GeForce card, its worth it. Get one with the DDR memory, it will cost a little more, but is worth it.

Hmmmmm, I don''t know where you get your Radeon information, but I am the proud owner of one of these fine boards and have yet to find a single bad point about them. It outperforms an MX in every way! Actually, I have a Duron 800 with a Radeon 32 DDR, and a friend of mine has a TBird 1.2 with a GeForce2 GTS, and my fps are exacly the same as his (and we both know a thing or two about milking every drop af performance out of our machines )
Anaother plus for the radeon is the fact that for OpenGL programming it is a lot more interessting ''cause it offers lots of new features not found on GeForce2 based cards.

So in conlusion, don''t bash the Radeon until you''ve tasted it''s raw power. I''d advise you to go for a radeon based card.

My recommendation is that if youre going to be doing alot of 3d modeling and animation the Radeon is the way to go, but if you want it for gameing it would be best to get a geforce. As for OpenGl programming I think that the geForce extensions are better documented then the radeon, I may be wrong in that but i know there is more source code using the nvidia chip.