Question about the contest

Started by
5 comments, last by superpig 16 years, 7 months ago
Does the person (or team) retain the rights to what they produce or do they grant the rights to gamedev?
Advertisement
If my understanding is right, then no, the makers of the game retain their ownership over the game (including the right to do anything they wish with it).

However, entering the contest will grant GDNet some rights over your game, as outlined in the contest rules.
First off, thank you ToohrVyk, for your reply.

Secondly, I found the paragraph at the bottom of the "rules and regulations" page and, like practically every piece of "legaleese" out there: I have more questions :)

Quote:
The entrant retains any and all rights of ownership, intellectual property rights and all other rights entrant may have in and to the entry. Notwithstanding mentioned ownership rights, by entering, the entrant personally or on behalf of their company grant GameDev.net permanent, non-exclusive, world-wide rights and a license, but not an obligation, free of any charge or compensation, to use, edit, copy, distribute and publish all or part of the entry, and all rights subsidiary to and derivative from the entry, in any medium now known or invented in the future, for promotional, advertising or demonstration purposes for GameDev.net's products or services or for GameDev.net generally.

I think this says that I own and can do whatever I want with my entry but, for anything I submit, gamedev can too.

Two questions:

1) Is my interpretation correct?

2) To clear up: "and all rights subsidiary to and derivative from the entry". does that mean that if I take my entry and extend it to a more complex game and/or develop a sequel, gamedev gets distribution rights to that also?
Quote:Original post by linternet

Yes.

Quote:2) To clear up: "and all rights subsidiary to and derivative from the entry". does that mean that if I take my entry and extend it to a more complex game and/or develop a sequel, gamedev gets distribution rights to that also?

Yes, but there's a trick. GameDev may do anything they want with the entry you provide them with (within some common sense limits) as well as any derived works of that entry (regardless of who made them, given the wording there), but they have no control over what you do with the original (unless they added an exclusivity clause since last year), including creating derived works other than the entry, because you grant them a license on the entry, not on your original.

Quote:Original post by linternet
That's how the staff has presented it in the past, yes.
Quote:2) To clear up: "and all rights subsidiary to and derivative from the entry". does that mean that if I take my entry and extend it to a more complex game and/or develop a sequel, gamedev gets distribution rights to that also?
Nah. That bit is just for legal completeness, so that the rules don't need to enumerate every possible thing they could do with your entry.
...also note this bit:

Quote:...for promotional, advertising or demonstration purposes...

Meaning they can take your game and say "Look what GD.net members are doing!!!". In other words, they can show your stuff, but they don't own your stuff.
Yeah, that's basically right. We can't, for example, put together a compilation of 4E games and sell them, but we can show off your game in our booth at GDC.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement