• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bluntman

PRT implementation.

This topic is 3920 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently implementing a lighting system based on this paper. The scheme can compress indirect illumination to a handfull of coefficients per vertex, and then relight the scene with any local lighting model. There are downsides to it, but the quoted performance is 30-50 fps on a 100,000 poly model, on a gf6600, including calculation of (6?) shadow maps for the point light. I have a couple of questions: - Has anyone else implemented this algorithm, or studied this paper? If so what are your thoughts with regards to its usefulness on current high end hardware, and in the context of a game, as opposed to "Real time lighting design"? - Towards the end of the paper, a description is given of how the clustered PCA was performed. It says that after the initial clustering of the vertices, the subsequent clustering is done using the error values from the PCA. My question is, how does this make sense? Clustering based on error value would, for instance, place all accurately represented vertices in the same cluster, but I cannot see how that would make subsequence PCA performed using that clustering more accurate! Thanks!

Advertisement
I also have another question regarding this:
What other techniques are people using to get global illumination with local (point/spot/area) light sources? I understand there is a screen space method (used in Crysis?) that can simulate ambient occlusion but this isn't the same as full global illumination.

There was a demo on the nVidia site where they showed a similar (or the same)method. It runs on a geForce 6600 and the image quality is quite good. I'm not able to find the direct link, but it should be on the nVidia site somewhere.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!