• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lawrenceh

Javascript and Multiuser games

This topic is 4012 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have done a lot of javascript, HTML and .ASP programming. I also would like to code a simple game, where two or more users can play over the Internet, using a browser as the interface. My question is, using these languages, is it possible for action of one play to update the window of another player on another PC. Thanks in advance Lawrence

Advertisement
Yes, it's possible through use of ASP on server, and javascript (usually some for of AJAX, or just plain old meta-refresh) on client-side.

Try googling for AJAX + ASP tutorials, there should be some as to how dynamic updates are performed. I don't have any examples handy since ASP is a bit foreign to me.

Asynchronous javascript and XML (AJAX).

It's a set of features available in javascript that allow you to develop interactive applications within web-browser, and generate page content on-the-fly, without reloading the page.

Hi

I have done some reading on AJAX.

If I want to write a simple game, I must be able to write information to another user's browser. This is the part I am still unable to find any information on.

How do I write HELLO WORLD to another window on another user's PC?

Many thanks in advance.

Lawrence

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!