• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Trapper Zoid

[web] Test my first Flash game

This topic is 3918 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I'm currently teaching myself Flash game programming using a copy of Gary Rosenzweig's ActionScript 3.0 Game Programming University book. I've just finished my first Flash game, a tile matching game (based on chapter 3 from the book). The rules are pretty simple: click on pairs of tiles and try to find matches. I'd like some feedback as to whether the game works on a variety of operating systems and browsers. The game needs Flash Player 9 - you might need to update your version of Flash to the latest player (there'll be a link on the webpage). At the moment I've just taken the HTML file that Flash generates for you as the basis for the webpage, so it's a bit basic. Here's a link to Tile Match, the Flash game I'm happy to receive any and all feedback here, and I'm keen to know if it works on other computers. Thanks in advance,

Advertisement
Doesn't work on FireFox/Linux with Flash 9. Your javascript thinks I do not have flash. A tip: Dump the javascript flash detection/loading and simply embed your flash in the page. Don't worry about someone not having flash. If they do not, they'll simply get an empty container that tells them to download flash when they click on it. That's built into the browser. Besides, how many people are going to visit a flash game when they know they do not have flash?

Thanks Sander. I've ripped out most of the gunk that Flash puts into the generated HTML file and uploaded a new version to my site. You need to click once on the game to activate it (can't remember if the other javascript version got around this), but please tell me if it works (especially under Linux).

I've got a long weekend coming up, so I'll have a bit of time to look into upgrading trazoi.net and fixing any HTML snafus.

Works for me ( w/FireFox ). Pretty cool and complete. At first I didn't really know what the objective was, but that soon passed. Nice gfx and overall presentation...

Nice! I especially like how the game doesn't force you to watch the animation, but allows you to click through it. It's a nice touch. Also the graphics are great!

Works great on Linux with both Firefox and Opera.

Thanks for the responses - it's good to know my Flash games will work.

I can't take too much credit for the gameplay mechanics as it's essentially the same as the code in the book - I did add the tile falling animation however, and the graphics and sound effects are mine. It's going to be a while before I work through examples in the book and have enough comfort with Flash to make something original.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!