Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Militia

D3D, vertices, triangles, oh my

Alright, in the end all I''m trying to do is create some vertices and make a 2d square (we dont need no stinking z plane) and apply a texture to it. So far all I can do is create a triangle and apply a texture to it. I can''t get anything other then DrawPrimitive(D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST, etc to work, and that of course, makes these god damn trangles. Anyone have any ideas? It looks like the other constants is what I need to use but all I ever manage to do is crash the app. All I wanna do is create 4 vertices and have it make a frickin square. Quick, someone call me on the clue phone. - Militia

Yes, 2 triangles make a square, no I don''t want to do that if theres a better way. From what I''ve seen in the docs it would appear there is, I just can''t get it to work.

Trust us, make 2 triangles that look like a square.
You still only need 4 verticies, because the triangles can share verticies if you use something like a "triangle strip".

Just because the church was wrong doesn''t mean Galileo wasn''t a heretic.
It just means he was a heretic who was right.

As Atavist said, if you use a Triangle Strip instead of a Triangle List you can save on vertices since they will be shared among the 2 triangles.
This will draw a square: (DX7 code -> D3DTLVERTEX)

// Remember btw that these are transformed vertices, so X and Y are in screen coordinates

D3DTLVERTEX vertices[4]; // 4 vertices

vertices[0]=D3DTLVERTEX(D3DVECTOR(100,100,0.0),1.0,RGBA_MAKE(255,255,255,255),0,0,0);
vertices[1]=D3DTLVERTEX(D3DVECTOR(200,100,0.0),1.0,RGBA_MAKE(255,255,255,255),0,1,0);
vertices[2]=D3DTLVERTEX(D3DVECTOR(100,200,0.0),1.0,RGBA_MAKE(255,255,255,255),0,0,1);
vertices[3]=D3DTLVERTEX(D3DVECTOR(200,200,0.0),1.0,RGBA_MAKE(255,255,255,255),0,1,1);

The square will be drawn from [100,100] to [200,200].

- Goblineye Entertainment
The road to success is always under construction

There is a better way, I believe, in Dx8. Using high-order primitives, you can render with a quad, but this needs a VERY good graphics card. Else just use OGL, because I _think_ it supports quads.

Else, just use a tri strip, it''s the best there is

-TF

Ya, I tried the triangle strip/etc but I could never get it to display anything. Anyone have any compilable cheeze code laying around that demonstrates this?