• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
suliman

good c++ compiler? (win xp)

This topic is 4012 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi im using vc++ 6.0 and its broken so i need a new one. Suggestions? I looked into gcc but you need to compile it yourself and their homepage is crap so i cant find any reasonable download (precompiled). VC++ 6.0 is the only one ive ever used so preferably something in the same category in terms of UI etc... Thanks a lot Erik

Advertisement
ive tried vc 2005 and express as well and the install gets corrupt. I have sp2 but my windows is messy and i will not reinstall just for this.

So im looking for a non-visual compiler :)

Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is the best choice. If you can't get it to work - maybe you should ask for help? You can do so here or at MSDN forums.

If that is too much trouble for you, there are a few alternatives.

You can get MinGW (G++) compiler. As for the IDE, you can get Code::Blocks, Eclipse, NetBeans, or you can just google for it. ;)

Hi suliman.

By non-visual I guess you mean something you can run from the commandline? Try MinGW, a port of gcc to windows. Also, there's a free IDE called Code::Blocks, which you could try.

And lastly, if your computer is messed up enough to not want to install porgrams, it might be time to do some cleaning up, don't you think?

Links:
MinGW
Code::Blocks

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Original post by aCynic2
There is also ... Dev-C++...

Please stop recommending Dev-C++. It's dead, unsupported, and a piece of shit anyway.

Most people will recommend you Visual Studio Express for a good reason. Seeing as you haven't really tried it yet, you should do so.

A programmer has to be skilled at problem solving, it being the biggest part of his job generally speaking.
You seem to have given up on even a simple hurdle like installing a development environment. Your first project as a programmer should be making it work!

Quote:

Many would beg to differ.

And most of those people haven't bothered to look around for new tools recently, and don't know what they're missing, or are just plain ignorant and think Visual C++ Express costs money or expires.

Don't recommend Dev-C++. wxDev-C++ is acceptable, at least, as it's still in development. But people aren't recommending wxDev-C++, they're recommending Dev-C++. This is like recommending VC6 over VS2005.

Code::Blocks is a nice light IDE, and theres a download version including the GCC(MINGW) compiler ... no building from source required.. download install enjoy... despite it being classified as RC2 ive been running this for months with no problems whatsoever .... i end up using this over Visual studio because of the much faster load time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!