• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vibe3d

OpenGL nvidia memory leak (solved)

This topic is 3982 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Guys I think i have found a bug in the nvidia windows drivers. My Hardware Nvidia 8800gts 640mb ForceWare 162.18 Windows XP sp2 Visual Studio 2005 sp1 What i have noticed is a very small memory leak that appears to just keep on growing, the memory leak will stop if you never make a call to SwapBuffers. I have been able to reproduce this bug using both SDL and just regular windows API. What i describe above will happen with the opengl initialize demo from codesampler.com if you want to check it out. I have tried with forceware 163.44 too and the same thing happens. Can anyone else in here confirm this on there machine? [Edited by - vibe3d on September 27, 2007 7:14:27 AM]

Advertisement
are you saying all opengl programs that use swapbuffers have a memory leak?

well I just downloaded it and ran the exe and my memory usage is 5,444k and it's staying at that.

So no memory leak for me

well the two i have tried do.

i actually noticed it just before while checking memory usage in my own 3d engine, at first i assumed it was a mem leak in my engine but i couldn't find it anywhere so i tried a really simple GL hello world type SDL app it leaked with that so i downloaded that demo from codesampler and it does it too. If you comment out the call to SwapBuffers (SDL_GL_SwapBuffers in sdl app) it does not leak memory

just run the provided exe and see if it has a memory leak.

if you only get a leak when you compile then that is your problem.

nvidia 6200

Quote:
Original post by ViperG
just run the provided exe and see if it has a memory leak.

if you only get a leak when you compile then that is your problem.

nvidia 6200

yes the downloaded exe leaks, believe me i ain't stupid i would not have posted if i hadn't tried everything first ;-)

Hi.

That sounds like something similar to one of my (quite old) problem I had with my NVidia Quadro and OpenGL (see here). It doesn't seem to be exactly the same.

In my case, I didn't use the z-buffer and all the screen was overwritten each frame so I had no use to call glClear. Then, when I began doing 3D, a leak appeared and I needed to call glClear (even glClear(0)) to get rid of it.

Hope it helps,
Sebastien

Quote:
Original post by ViperG
well dunno what to tell you, im not seeing any leaks in the opengl downloads off code sampler.

cheers for checking anyway, perhaps this is a bug with the 8800??

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!