• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mtemple

Can I Assume 3D Support for DirectSound?

This topic is 4094 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How universal is support for 3D sound these days? I was thinking of checking for 3D DirectSound buffer support in our game, and dropping back to a standard DirectSound buffer if the support is not there (and doing my own fadeing and panning). But every article I read on the subject seems to be very old. Can I just assume that 3D support is there and go ahead? Is 3D buffer support universal by now? I think I will need standard DirectSound buffers for other things like ambient sound that is not positon sensitive, but I'm wondering if I need to use my own fadeing and panning code or if I can count on 3D. Thanks,

Advertisement
This on-board audio I'm using just now doesn't support 3D sound buffers, or in fact any hardware buffers at all. However, you can just do the mixing in software; the performance penalty will only be slight, and you can have as many buffers as you like (As far as I know).

It's also worth noting that there's no hardware DierctSound support on Vista at all.

Thanks Steve,

I already have my own software mixing code, so I was just curious if everyone else had abandoned this in favor of just turning everything over to DirectSound 3D buffers. I think it is simple enough to just convert positions in 3D space into pan and fade values. And like you say, I don't have to worry about 3D buffer support. I wonder if it is worth the effort to try doing any frequency modulation in order to simulate the Doppler effect?

Thanks again!

I found that using hardware support wasn't a good idea. It sounded different on every computer I tried, depending on the audio hardware. It was just random. Using software made it uniform and predictable. It wasn't really any slower, and I could use as many buffers as I wanted.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!