• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
janta

Loading the symbols of a static lib's pdb (VS 2005)

This topic is 3921 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey people A quick question: our solution includes several projects, one of which generates the executable, the others being statically linked implicitly as (.lib files) During a debugging session though, while stepping in one of those .lib code, the debugger is unable to tell me the values of my vars ("cannot find symbol", says the watch window) I've checked that there were no optimization enabled, though I will double check. But what happens with that pdb in the first place, is t just also statically included to my game.exe's pdb ? (which the debugger claims is correctly loaded, btw...) Regards JA

Advertisement
A static library is just like a bunch of OBJ files. After linking, it has no personal identity. The application's PDB should contain debugging information for the functions that were taken from the static library. (Assuming, of course, that they were built with debugging information.)

So if I understand correctly, the most likely issue is that no relevant debuging information has been generated. That would be easier to verify if the project were not makefile-based (which syntax is unfamiliar to me...)

Thanks for that confirmation sir [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!