• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pizza box

Automate checking boxes in a web page using a script

This topic is 4101 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Although this isn't exactly related to games, I was just curious if this was possible with scripting as it would save me a lot of time. I have a webpage that acts as an interface for another application. One part of using this webpage involves clicking on many checkboxes and then deleting the selected items. Unfortunately, there is no "Check all" box that would enable me to select all of the items (there can be up to a thousand or so). So each day I have to spend up to 45 minutes clicking each individual checkbox and deleting the objects. Would it be possible to create a script (I've been using VBScript for other stuff) that would simulate a user checking all of the boxes on a given page? Maybe I could cycle through all of the objects in a page and find any checkboxes, then change a property from unchecked to checked. I tried searching for this for a while but I never got too far. I found stuff such as OLE and DDE but I wasn't sure if this would be useful. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
First, learn the basics of HTTP. Then fire up something like Python/urllib.

Or...download something like EZMacros, and use the right number of tab and spacebar presses to check all the boxes.

Or something like GreaseMonkey for Firefox would allow you to write a page-specific javascript script to check the boxes.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!