• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dookie

What is this - "Direct3D9: :Window 00030040 is on top of us!!"

This topic is 4012 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I'm testing my game on an Intel 946GZ Express video card, and I keep on getting this error in Visual CPP when I try to launch my app fullscreen: Direct3D9: :Window 00030040 is on top of us!! It works fine when it's running in a window, but it doesn't work when running fullscreen. Here's what's really weird - it goes fullscreen just fine if I run this same game on a NVidia GeForce 8800GTS. Any ideas what's causing this error? I haven't a clue... Strange stuff! Thanks in advance for the help!

Advertisement
Here's something even weirder - If I run 'dxdiag.exe' and test Direct3D, the screen goes black for a second and then goes back to Windows desktop with a messageBox that reads "You cancelled the test by pressing a key." Anybody else run into this problem? If so, how'd you get rid of the problem?

Is that the exact error? It looks more like an information message to me. I believe that happens if D3D can't make the window the top level window.

Out of interest, if you do this:
HWND hWnd = (HWND)0x00030040;
char szBuff[256];
GetWindowText(hWnd, szBuff, 256);

What does szBuff contain (That's off the top of my head, parameters might not be right)? That should tell you what window is on top of yours. It sounds like there's a bit of software doing "something"...

I found the problem, sorry about the wild goose chase.

In my BIOS, I had to set the video to "Internal" instead of "Auto"... Didn't think that would make a difference, but it did. Dadgum! Well, after changing the BIOS to only use the internal Intel video, both DXDiag and my game ran perfectly.

Awesome, I'm glad to see my game's graphics subsystem will work on a vid card that can't do hardware vertex processing! Now to stick the 8800 GTS back into my system and continue programming. [smile]

Thanks for that handy bit of code, Evil Steve. I'll have to use that next time I see this error crop up, I doubt it'll be the last time I see it. [wink]

The Microsoft Spy++ tool that's installed with the Visual Studio tools (not sure about the Express editions) and available in the Platform SDK is an extremely useful app that lets you do what Steve's code does and many more things (such as viewing which messages are being sent to a particular window).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!