Octree vs BSP

Started by
3 comments, last by _DarkWIng_ 22 years, 12 months ago
Hi! just a little question... Why is everybody using BSP in their engines? And please dont say something like: "Carmak is also using them" and "If it''s good for quake it''s good for me".. and so on... I''m curently using octree. So if you have any good reasons to use BSP just tell me... in general I would just like to hear some pros/cons for octree|bsp -mirko There are more worlds than the one that you hold in your hand...
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Advertisement
In general i think that bsps (collision, bsp rendering, sorting) are much more faster
then octrees in ego shooters like quake, hl or
ut.

Dont have the time to test octree against bsp ...
but i guess bsp is faster for ego shooter stuff
and octree is better for landscapes or so

Damn right!
Octree is a allround tree for 3d ego shooter like Quake and large terrains. But the goals from bsp tree are mostly of 3d ego shooterand it is more effectiv for this!
Use Bsp it´s easier I think and there are more tutos at the net...
Good luck man!
I already have octrees up and running(with collision, clipping,etc..). I''m just wondering if it would be better to implement BSP too?

There are more worlds than the one that you hold in your hand...
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
it´s easier and octree are not bad but are not very good for 3d ego shooters! Bsp is the best thing. I read different books and everynbody says that bsp are the best solution and the best way to make a really good 3d game like HF or UT.
I use for my engine BSP and Octree. Thats the best for me I think )

CYA Tho

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement