• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ShawnO

Adding Equipment/Weapons/Clothing To Character

This topic is 4082 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering how accessories like weapons, shields, cloaks, etc. are added to a character model in a role playing game. During the course of a game my character may use a sword, or maybe a bow, and might get different types of aromor. It doesn't seem logical to create separate models for each combination of weapon, shield and clothing. Can someone explain how this is accomplished, or point me in the right direction? Thanks, Shawn

Advertisement
There are two part here: Attaching and Wearing.

Attaching is used for statically linking an object to a bone in your creature (for example a sword).
Wearing is used for cloth so it deforms together with your character.

Usually the charactermodel without equipment will look like part of
the body are missing (eg upper arms, upper legs, ...) Then if nothing
is equiped, we fall back to 'dummy' equipment with just normal upper
arms/legs.
This is done to avoid problem when wearing and 'skin' going through (tight)
clothes.

Regards

Right now I am thinking mostly of what you describe as "wearing".
Are you saying that each character is made up of separate body part building blocks, for example head, shoulders, upper arms, lower arms, torso, etc? And then, you'd have separate meshes for head with no helmet, head with small helmet, head with large helmet, torso with no armor, torso with leather armor, torso with plate armor, etc?
That seems like a lot of work.
I was hoping that this could be accomplished by creating one, full body character mesh and then creating separate meshes for each wearable item, and then somehow combine the two into the final character mesh.
I wonder how good the results would be using only texturing. If the armor details were part of the texture instead of part of the mesh maybe simply changing from the leather armor texture to the plate armor texture would do the trick. I guess this wouldn't work for things like cloaks, etc.
Are there any discussions on how other games have accomplished this?

Thanks,
Shawn

yes you can create one full body character mesh and then put helmets and such on top but you run a high risk of having parts of your underlying character mesh going through the clothing your character is wearing. it is mainly a problem for things like shirts and pants where the equiped mesh must transform with the underlying character mesh... unless you want to create an animation for each peice of clothing your character would wear that matches his run animation and trigger both while running your best bet would be to use Kitt3n's suggestion.

As for things like Swords, Shields, etc... this is a simple problem of creating a mounting system. All you need to do is have a way to specify mounting points really and then link the item to a mounting point (generally a bone) so during the animation as the bone is transformed your object linked to that bone transforms with it.

i still don't understand what u r trying to say , if ur character model is made up by seperate part , i think the animation wont be smooth and how can u know where to attach your new body parts to ??? i'm using dx and .x file ,i don't know which 3d file format u r using but as i know the x file doesn't contain bone information ,
if u don't mind can u post the source code about this ?

I can think of two solutions:

1. if your character can only carry a certain set of weapons, just model the character with all of the weapons and make them visible as the character picks them up.

2. Put dummy objects on yout character (dummies exprot from 3ds max into frames in x - not sure what your using) in the places where you want to hook the weapons. then attach whatever weapon model to the corrisponding dummie as you pick them up. i.e. granade dummies around the belt would be "filled" with fire,smoke and stciky granades as the player picks them up.

hope that helps

treeway : 2. Put dummy objects on yout character (dummies exprot from 3ds max into frames in x - not sure what your using) in the places where you want to hook the weapons. then attach whatever weapon model to the corrisponding dummie as you pick them up. i.e. granade dummies around the belt would be "filled" with fire,smoke and stciky granades as the player picks them up.

@treeway : i don't know if this is possible because i haven't tried , but in 3dsmax when u attach a mesh to a skinned mesh , u rotate the skinned mesh , the mesh which u attach to won't be effected , if this is happen how can u use a dummy object to hook a weapon model ?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!