Shader Model 4.0, Bilinear Vertex Texture Fetch?

Started by
5 comments, last by AndyTX 16 years, 6 months ago
Quick dumb question, but I cannot seem to get google to answer this one, With Shader Model 4.0, if your texture is setup for bilinear filtering, does reading from this texture in a vertex shader return a bilinear filtered result? Or do you have to manually bilinear filter like in SM3.0?
_|imothy Farrar :: www.farrarfocus.com/atom
Advertisement
Im pretty sure (but not positive) that any kind of texture fetching call (or most any other math call) can be used in any of the shaders (vertex, geometry and pixel) and should all work the same way; im pretty sure that it will filter correctly in the vertex shader as you would expect (but again not positive)
Yes, you should be okay for bilinear filtering on VTF. It's still optional to have filtering for the FP32 formats and if you force a mip level (e.g. SampleLevel()) then you can only get isotropic filtering...

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

I believe you can also get anisotropic filtering with the derivative texture instructions, although I can't think of a relevant application off the top of my head... maybe some type of view-dependent LOD?

[Edited by - AndyTX on September 26, 2007 7:34:25 PM]
I thought derivatives were definately out for vertex/geometry shaders. How would a vertex shader have a screen space partial derivative before you know where the vertex is on screen?
ahhh.. I think I misunderstood. You meant you could use the texturing instructions but not the derivative instructions. So if you could come up with some meaningful derivative then you could use it.. Makes sense, although yeah I can't think of a use of it off the top of my head
Quote:Original post by WizardOfOzzz
ahhh.. I think I misunderstood. You meant you could use the texturing instructions but not the derivative instructions. So if you could come up with some meaningful derivative then you could use it.. Makes sense, although yeah I can't think of a use of it off the top of my head

Yeah exactly: the texture functions that take explicit derivatives. Naturally implicit derivatives are a bit meaningless... I guess technically you could work out a single derivative with respect to the input index stream? Seems pretty useless :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement