• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
np2100

Need c++ compiler/editor for windows

This topic is 4094 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

does anybody know of a c++ compiler/editor for windows xp if so please tell me. DEV C++ isnt showing me my results such as hello world! after I compile succesfully.

Advertisement
if anybody could tell me how to see ur results on visual c++ like results such as Hello World! that would be helpful. Thanks in know its a newb question im just startin out

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition

To build your program, hit F7. To run your program with debugging, hit F5. To run your program without debugging, hit Ctrl+F5. Otherwise, use the options under the "Build" menu at the top, or use the play/pause buttons (play for run, pause for break) on the toolbar.

If the problem is that you have something like

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "Hello, world!" << std::endl;
}

and the console window (the place where the "Hello, world!" message is sent to) flashes up and disappears before you can see the results, use Ctrl+F5 to run without debugging — the IDE will automatically pause the program once it is complete, so that the console remains open and the results are visible.

That means you successfully built the program, but now you have to run it to see "Hello World."

Like TheUnbeliever said, press either F5 or Ctrl-F5 to run the program.

Svenjamin

What IDE are you using when you see that message? If it is Dev-CPP, then that is not the hot key for it. Just look under the run menu or w/e Dev calls it to find the hot key or just click on where it says run somewhere in Dev (I don't use Dev any more [I haven't used it in a year]).

If that is in Visual C++, then you must be missing something or have done something wrong.

In Visual, all you need to do, is go up to the menu bar and click build. Then click Build Solution (it also has a F7 out beside it. This is the hot key for it). It it gives no errors, and it gives you output SIMILAR to this:

------ Build started: Project: Kingdom, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Compiling...
Main.cpp
Linking...
Embedding manifest...
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Chad\Desktop\Kingdom\Kingdom\Kingdom\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
Kingdom - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

then all you need to do is go up to where it says Debug and then click Start Debugging. It has a little play button to the left side, and the hot key to the right side. After you do that, then it should run just fine. If the console window just opens up and flashes then closes, then the program did run right. It just ran so fast that you did not see it.

I hope this helps.

Chad

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!