• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
freeworld

making my own gui, what are all the common buttons and any links would be appreciated

This topic is 4101 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm about to tear my current gui a new one, and was curious what are all the common buttons implemented in a gui. Also I'd be most appreciated if you gave links to any tips/guides on making a gui, using C++ (GFX API doesn't matter). So far I'm thinking: 1) Standard Button : Just a clickable sufface 2) Check Box 3) Text input box : if thats what you call it? like were you'd input an adress in your browser. 4) Scroll Bar 5) Drop Down menu : probably just a list of Standard buttons? 6) Link : this was something I've been contemplating, a button that would open up a new menu. I see this Kind of thing alot and I can already think of a few ways id be nice. any others?

Advertisement
The only obvious one you're missing is a radio button (possibly implemented as a variation on a check box).

There's also the more fancy controls like tables, trees, tabbed areas, etc. but for 90% of games you don't need those and it'd just be a waste of time.

what's the difference between a check box and a radio button? I thought a radio button was exactly the same thing but instead of a square box it was circle? Wich would be solved by the fact that I'm using (user created) textures, so if they want a round check box, they just have to supply the graphics for it and that's how it'll look.

Quote:
Original post by freeworld
what's the difference between a check box and a radio button? I thought a radio button was exactly the same thing but instead of a square box it was circle? Wich would be solved by the fact that I'm using (user created) textures, so if they want a round check box, they just have to supply the graphics for it and that's how it'll look.
A radio button is typically associated with one of a mutually exclusive set of options (that is, when a radio button in the set is selected, the radio button that was previously selected - if any - is deselected).

Quote:
Original post by jyk
Quote:
Original post by freeworld
A radio button is typically associated with one of a mutually exclusive set of options (that is, when a radio button in the set is selected, the radio button that was previously selected - if any - is deselected).

go figure, I've already implemented that in my previous approach, but it was just a style of how the buttons reacted to input.

For game effects, it's not so much the widget types that's important, but all the effects you expect on them, like mouse on/off/click images and sounds, animations, etc. You usually end up having to build a UI Editor as well :)

You might want to look at CEGUI while you're at it.

Allan

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!