• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
irreversible

customizable self-running standalones (customizing an exe file)

This topic is 3921 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In light of the fact that the name of the topic can be quite confusing, I'll explain what I want to do in a bit more detail: I want to create something similar to a self-extracting zip archive - an exe, which has a built-in framework (code section) that would load the data it uses from the resource section of the file and then allow the user to manipulate it; the resource section, however, has to be customizable after the exe is created. The way I want to make this is by compiling an exe with no resources, only the code that uses the data, then create a custom dataset and place it into the resource section of the file, allowing the exe to be custom-tailored without having to separately compile it. So, to recap: - I have a compiled exe with no resources - I have data the exe can use stored separately - I have a second program that takes the empty exe and the data and places the data into the resource section of the exe I haven't done extensive research into this (I just know a bit out PE and general exe structuring) - I'm just trying to grasp the difficulty of what I'm trying to do: - will it require a lot of updates in the exe header/resource portions? - is this the most reasonable solution if the intent is to distribute one self-sufficient file with data created in a separate program? - if anyone can guide me to a relevant resource, that'd be nice. Cheers

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!