• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hellraiser

GL_EXT and GL_ARB

This topic is 4016 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, What is the difference between extensions starting with the prefix GL_ARB (OGL Architecture Review Board?) and GL_EXT in terms of how widely supported they are by hardware manufacturers? In my understanding GL_ARB extensions are guaranteed to be supported providing the hardware has the capabilities required to implement a given ARB extension, but does the same apply to GL_EXT extensions? Many thanks.

Advertisement
AFIAK GL_EXT are extensions that are supported by 2 or more IHV's. I'm pretty sure that ARB extensions are better supported than EXT, but I don't know how they are promoted from the latter to the first category.

An extension is, per definition, not guaranteed to be present anywhere. Only what's in the core is guaranteed. It's mostly a level of approval that is the difference. EXT is usually an extension used by many vendors. ARB is taking it one step further and recognized by the ARB as something that could, and often will, end up in the core in one way or another.

Quote:
Brother Bob wrote:
EXT is usually an extension used by many vendors. ARB is taking it one step further and recognized by the ARB as something that could, and often will, end up in the core in one way or another.

That's great, thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!