• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
shaKu_shawn

Cure for lighting pixelation on low poly models

This topic is 4016 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a "lower" poly model which when rendered in Maya looks great but when real time rendered in the engine I am working on using a basic Phong shader I get some light pixelation. Now obviously I am not expecting to find a way to render it as nice as Maya does but I am curious if there are some quick ways to reduce how dramatic of light pixelation is created when rendering your model... there is an image below showing this.

Advertisement
I don't think that's actually pixelation. It looks like your smoothing groups are screwed up (i.e. the normals aren't the way they should be). Maybe that happened when exporting the model.

Quote:
Original post by Harry Hunt
I don't think that's actually pixelation. It looks like your smoothing groups are screwed up (i.e. the normals aren't the way they should be). Maybe that happened when exporting the model.

I second that [smile]

ok so what you are saying is I get to yell at the art guy huh ;) I know he had a little bit of trouble finding a .x exporter for the project... are there any good ones out there you guys would suggest for Maya 8?

ya you guys were right the normals were not being exported. the artist could not find an exporter for Maya 8 so he ended up importing it into 3DSMAX and exporting it from there and it looks great! Now to just figure out my ZBuffer problem when rendering to Surface

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!