Nintendo DS Development

Started by
1 comment, last by Eponasoft 16 years, 6 months ago
I'm interested in getting started with programming for the Nintendo DS. I am currently a game designer designing for the system, but I would like to be able to do some prototyping myself of concepts. I have setup Devkitpro and PALib to work with Visual Express C++. Beyond the tutorials on the PALib site, do any of you know of any other great resources for indie development on the DS?
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Advertisement
The best resource for learning DS I found are the samples provided with devkitPro. I don't know much about PALib, only that it isn't very appreciated by the core dev team.

If you haven't found already the forums in dsdev.org contain a lot of information and can be very helpful.

And if you have the possibility check out #dsdev on irc.blitzed.org. Usually there's always someone from the developers of devkitPro and many other "homebrewers" who are very helpful.

And here are some of my bookmarks concerning dsdev. Most of them found vie dsdev.org:

Introduction to Nintendo DS Programming
Nintendo DS Development Tutorial :: Links
PataterSoft

[Edit]

Oh, and if it's just a design or prototype you're after I'd suggest sticking to a PC version first. Create a window similar to the DS's resolution and use the mouse as a replacement for the stylus. Use artwork that can be easily transferred to the DS (only lowres textures, very lowpoly models :-) and limit the graphics engine to what is possible on the DS. If you start rightaway on the DS you'll have a very steep learning curve because even the simplest tasks like debugging aren't easily achieved. And testing on an emulator for a real DS game isn't reliable right now. But don't let me discourage you.

Good luck and have fun!
baumep
You would do well to pick up a CycloDS Evolution if you wish to develop software to run on a real DS machine. It is a very well-made slot 1 linker. You will need to supply your own micro SD memory card for it though, and be sure to get a fast one as the speed of the card is crucial (the Kingston 2GB card from Japan is a good choice, the 512MB one will be faster though; avoid non-Japanese cards at all costs, as they tend to be slow!). Some homebrew (I hate that word) games don't run on slot 1 linkers at the moment though, it depends heavily on the filesystem you're using. For example: PAFS, the filesystem integrated into PAlib, thus far doesn't work on any slot 1 linkers, though it will apparently work fine on a slot 2 linker. For this, using something like libfat would be a better choice, but there are other choices too. There's a lot to learn but if you have prior console development experience, it won't be too hard. You will undoubtedly, as I have, find yourself asking questions that no one in the PAlib community has the answers for.
-- Eponasoft --Independent Nintendo DS Development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement