Is there any Public Domain 2D sprite art?

Started by
8 comments, last by jbadams 16 years, 6 months ago
I am trying to make a 2D space game, and I have been looking for some textures I can use as sprites. I am not very good (OK, downright horrible) at drawing. I just want to get some place holder art to use in my game, but I can't even find anything I can use anywhere. I just need some space ships of various sizes (from fighters, to capitol ships), planets, stars, and other misc space themed sprites. Is there any web sites or places that collections of art I can use? It is odd that I can find texture archives (for 3d rendering), sounds, and code, but not sprites. I would even consider a commercial source, like a CD full of stuff like that, as long as it wasn't to expensive. This isn't a commercial game, just my own personal project, which might actually appear as a public domain game at some point.
Advertisement
I found these ones a while back. They're under the Creative Commons license, so as long as you follow that they are free. http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-08-08-n51.html.

Edit: Whoops. Just read you wanted space ships and stuff. Sorry. Well at least if you need placeholder people you're all set. :) Sorry I couldn't be of any real help.
Yeah, it is so weird that space game textures are nearly non-existent. If I wanted to make a 2d platformer, I have like 1000s of characters I can use. Even if I wanted to make an RTS with tanks or a 2D fantasy adventure, there is tuns of stuff out there. Yet in all my searches I have found one, and only one spaceship sprite.

Is the age of 2D space games long past? I can't even find space stuff akin to Galaga, let alone something you might see in a 4x game like Galatic Civ or masters of orion.
Try trucking on over to the Escape Velocity: Nova site and extracting the ship resources from the game using one of the game editors. The ships aren't public domain/creative commons, but they'll give you enough to be able to test things on your own. Just don't distribute the game with 'em in there.

If you're in with the EVN community, you can probably ask the folks on the forum there if they have any resources they'd let you use.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
Is anyone famillair with the Spriteworks1.0 archive? It seems old, and the preview screen was kind of weak. It costs 20 bucks, and I tried to buy it, but thier purchasing system scripts broke.

I am so surprised there isn't some kind of commerical 'starter kit' of art for game developers. I swear if someone made a DVD packed with sprites, textures, basic models, and sounds, they could sell them for 50 bucks a pop easily.

I just went to thier web site, that game is a 3D space game. I need 2D sprites, not 3D models or textures for 3D models.
Have you tried Spritelib? There's a bunch of other stuff in it but there are some (a few) space themed sprites... mostly aliens and small ships, though. No planets. Might want to give it a go anyway, it's not very big to download.
Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site
Quote:Original post by TheSilverHammerI just went to thier web site, that game is a 3D space game. I need 2D sprites, not 3D models or textures for 3D models.
The game is 2D. It uses 3D models pre-rendered and transferred to sprite form, much like Donkey Kong Country or Super Mario RPG did.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
Quote:Original post by TheSilverHammer
Is anyone famillair with the Spriteworks1.0 archive? It seems old, and the preview screen was kind of weak. It costs 20 bucks, and I tried to buy it, but thier purchasing system scripts broke.

I am so surprised there isn't some kind of commerical 'starter kit' of art for game developers. I swear if someone made a DVD packed with sprites, textures, basic models, and sounds, they could sell them for 50 bucks a pop easily.

I just went to thier web site, that game is a 3D space game. I need 2D sprites, not 3D models or textures for 3D models.

It's ugly, don't buy it, I already made the mistake

Darkmatter 2 IIRC has spaceship models in it. I haven't gotten it yet though so I don't know what they look like
That darkmatter stuff looks cool, to bad it is geared toward 3D. Even thier sprites are meant to be used as billboards in a 3D world.
Download a complete set of sweet 8-bit Sinistar clone graphics from Lost Garden. He has some other free graphics and a bunch of good articles as well, including the Tyrian ships and tiles which is for some reason not listed on the directory page.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement