• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
np2100

Need help im kinda new

This topic is 4093 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have started learning c++ and i can program files like calculator and stuff but now that im gettin better i would like to know what happens after I compile the source. What program should I get like a library. I basically want to know what the steps to making a game are and what are good programs for those steps after compiling and running the file.

Advertisement
After you compile the application, it gets linked, and you end up with an exe. And that's it.

The whole "making a game" step involves writing a code. You'll always get an executable, just like you do for calculator. But after you compile and run the file, that's it, you have your running application. The development is all before then.

The examples of games and basic concepts should be somewhere in the forum FAQ.

I mean well a good question is for example pong. Once you program that and its a running application how does it become a game. A game cant become a game without graphics right so isnt there another step after running the application

No, that's it. I suppose you're just asking, in a round-a-bout way: How do I get graphics into my program? And the answer to that depends on what:

operating system are you using

programming language you are using

type of game you want to make (2d, 3d.. (1d?))

For making pong on windows with C++ you could use a 2d graphics API such as Allegro or SDL, a 3d graphics API such as DirectX or OpenGL and ignoring that pesky third dimension. Or you could skip c++ altogether and use different languages with similar APIs. Or maybe get a game maker program or learn Flash.

Before asking further questions consider looking into the above keywords on your own as most of your questions will be answerable by reading wikipedia. If you're still confused then we'll try to help you. Hope that helps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!