An Alternative to CS3 for now?

Started by
4 comments, last by Ezbez 16 years, 6 months ago
I downloaded the trial version of Illustrator CS3 only coming to realize I was 256MB short of the minimum requirements. Yes, I know I have an old computer, but is there any program (knowing what is out there) that will give me anything near Illustrator CS3 with requirement of only 256MB of RAM or less? Thanks,
Advertisement
It depends a bit on what you're wanting to use Illustrator for. If it's just for simple vector art there's a few cheap alternatives out there.

First, there Inkscape. It's a free open source SVG editor which I've used to make some nice simple vector based shapes. It's not as full featured as Illustrator for vector art work, but it is free so you can try it out to see if it suits you. I'm not sure about the memory footprint however.

There's also Xara, which has some cheap art packages, but I haven't used it much myself.

I'm sorry that I don't know off-hand if either of these will suit your particular memory-based problems - art tools tend to want to suck up a lot of available memory.
Illustrator CS3: $600.00
1GB ram: $40.00

I'd say buy both.

-me
Yea, well I was going to get an Adobe Indesign student package if they had them when I went to my State University NCSU (Go Pack) but honestly the only reason for using Illustrator is to create good quality 2d vectors of fighters, mario like adventure games, and blocks for puzzle games.
I just picked up a copy of the education priced Adobe Web Creative Suite 3 myself (education is a bit more expensive than student, but the restrictions on use are less); it's a bit pricey but very useful.

If you're keen on 2D style games, you might want to look into Flash. It's also got vector based drawing, and is a very good platform for 2D games especially in the latest version. I'm currently learning Flash game development myself, and it's great having both the coding and art development tools in the same package.
Try out the afore-mentioned Inkscape. It's great for the price, and I bet that it will more than meet your needs.

(One little tip about Inkscape: Don't save pictures to the default location! if you install a new version, it can delete all that you've done! Save it to a folder outside of Inkscape's installation folder. Don't be stupid like me.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement