• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Goober King

[.net] XNA model loading

This topic is 4096 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I haven't had just a whole lot of luck getting models to load correctly so far. I'm kinda curious as to what people are using to create models with. So far I've had all kinds of odd things happen trying to load .x files. I know you can load fbx files as well but I personally don't own anything that will write an fbx file.

Advertisement
I personally use Wings3D, a freeware 3d modeling program. It supports exporting models as FBX files which I've used in a few XNA projects.

The only disadvantage of Wings3D is that it does not support animation.

Quote:
Original post by cyansoft
I personally use Wings3D, a freeware 3d modeling program. It supports exporting models as FBX files which I've used in a few XNA projects.

The only disadvantage of Wings3D is that it does not support animation.

I got a couple of things to work using it without much trouble. I made one simple model in Wings3d and exported it. Then I took a much more complex TrueSpace model exported it as a 3ds and used wings to make an fbx. I may have a system now. Though the no animation thing is going to get me down the line with what I want to do, but at least I can take another step. Thanks.

I would have a look at Blender, it now has a FBX Exporter that supports animation, and they do load up in XNA with out any problem.

Quote:
Original post by Mykre

I would have a look at Blender, it now has a FBX Exporter that supports animation, and they do load up in XNA with out any problem.

Yeah after further use I think wings is out for the time being. One of my main concerns in the past was things tend to look slightly distorted like the aspect ratio is a little off. Same thing with wings and I don't think any of the modelers are to blame, so I will stick with what I know.

It took me all night to find out how to get something modeled textured and loaded. I'm currently starting in TrueSpace since I paid for it and am the most comfortable with it, then move to Blender for Unwrapping and texturing. Blender has several tricks my version of TS doesn't have and is a really good modeler especially given the price.

Now I have to figure out how to get cube and normal mapping working from both a programing POV and software. I'm a little concerned my head will explode, but I'm going for it anyway.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!