Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kren

How do I create 3d game engine?

ok I know it''s very very hard work but I would like to know even how do I start? How much time do you need to do very simple and basic game engine? etc...etc... Thanks for help!

wow...
how general is THAT question...

I would say define what you want your ''engine'' to do. Then code it. Designing/defining what you want to get out of it is a huge step.

I just decided one day to code a partical engine. Not knowing anything I just defined what I wanted it to do...then coded it.

Each engine is unique. Some may want to do things taht others could care less about.

Pick up some books...
Read some sample code...

Jenison
''There is no reason to have math part of the curriculum in schools. Why should we have to know 2x = 3y - 5. We have computers now." - Rosie O''Donnle

You can''t even think about writing an engine until you have a good understanding in 3D programming. You need to have a thorough knowledge of either software 3D, Direct3D or OpenGL, depending on which one your engine will use.

An engine isn''t just some code to display some triangles, it''s a whole library of 3d functionality, which can be adapted to many different tasks and game styles. To put it simply, you can write a 3d game without ever writing a 3d engine. In fact I would highly recommend your first 3d projects should be very simple 3d games with only enough D3D/OpenGL to get the job done. To try to sit down and write a full and complete 3d engine without learning your chosen API first would be fruitless.

KREN: slap yourself but 5 times and then hurt yourself some more. Im not going to take this question seriously, because you shouldn''t even think of game programming or 3d programming, cause you dont have the wit to think of searching a search engine for the most basic info. If you dont know what a search engine is dont even bother thinking of programming, for atleast 1 year.

Don''t be put off though. It''s just that certain things need to be learnt in the right order. Once you''re comfortable with whatever programming language you use, and know how to set up a program within the OS you are writing for, learn your 3D API of choice, get a good selection of working programs using that API, and then you can worry about constructing your own 3D engine.

So for most people that will involve-> C/C++ -> Win32 -> DirectX-D3D/OpenGL/Software3D -> Quality working demos -> 3D Engine -> Serious, yet achieveable game project.

Why is everyone putting this guy down and telling him it''s not possible? True, you mustn''t let people think that it''s easy, but it is possible! I''m not in the position to answer your question until my 3D engine is complete. It actually works and is like 90% done, but it is taking me forever to write an SDK so that other people can use my engine. So the one thing I can say about making engines is that writing documentation is just as difficult as writing the code if you''re planning for others to use your engine. Good luck

The reason why I''m telling him it''s not feasible for him right now, is that he mentioned in another thread that he doesn''t have the DX SDK yet, which makes me suspect (although obviously I could be wrong, he could already know OpenGL etc) that he''s just starting out with 3D programming. If that''s the case, my advice is reasonable and realistic I think.