Medieval RPG or Modern RPG

Started by
16 comments, last by drakostar 16 years, 6 months ago
Should I focus on developing a standard 2d Medieval RPG or a Modern one? Everyone knows what a standard medieval rpg is, and people have basically altered the main idea and produced all kinds of variations of an medieval rpg.. Now a modern rpg is one that you don't see alot. It will be centered on gang fights/gun fights... where gangs rule the streets. There will also be a big emphasis on cars, tuning, racing. Things to do will include general mining, flower picking, trash collecting, delivery services, hitman services)... Another focus will be player owned businesses (i.e. Gun Shop, Pizzaria... etc.) So what do you think?
Advertisement
Definitely modern for originality.
Although I have little useful info for you either way, the modern version you're describing sounds like GTA to me.

One thing I would like to add is that there are (correct me if I'm wrong) not many medieval RPGs around. Maybe fantasy RPGs, but I haven't seen or played any medieval RPGs. For a clearer definition of what I'm talking about, I've seen many High Fantasy games (magic, elves, lots of races etc.), but not many Low Fantasy (medieval society, the plague, eating next to nothing, feudal system etc.) games.

It would be very nice to see someone pull off an RPG-version of, say, a real medieval game like Firefly Studios' Stronghold or something.

Food for thought.
Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site
Modern with some fun skills (trainable) and races sounds like an original rpg. Flower picking? What about book collecting for the 'nerd' class?
There aren't many historic medieval-based games out there, and it might be cool to develop one, you should gather a team for research before you attempt to do that, though.
Quote:Original post by elcabin
Modern with some fun skills (trainable) and races sounds like an original rpg. Flower picking? What about book collecting for the 'nerd' class?

Haha, it's just an idea. =P

Quote:Although I have little useful info for you either way, the modern version you're describing sounds like GTA to me.

One thing I would like to add is that there are (correct me if I'm wrong) not many medieval RPGs around. Maybe fantasy RPGs, but I haven't seen or played any medieval RPGs. For a clearer definition of what I'm talking about, I've seen many High Fantasy games (magic, elves, lots of races etc.), but not many Low Fantasy (medieval society, the plague, eating next to nothing, feudal system etc.) games.

It would be very nice to see someone pull off an RPG-version of, say, a real medieval game like Firefly Studios' Stronghold or something.

Food for thought.

True... but still, it has a same base style... because if you make a medieval rpg, what would the whole game be centered on? Leveling up probably... same stuff. If you have guns... a whole new window opens.
Quote:Original post by Immanuel
If you have guns... a whole new window opens.

Hmmmm...

True... but still, it has a same base style... because if you make an rpg with guns, what would the whole game be centered on? Leveling up probably... same stuff.

An RPG is an RPG is an RPG. There's no way you can get away from the 'same base style' without it not being an RPG. That was just my opinion, a 'guns' RPG would be exactly the same game just set in a different period with different weapons. You could mod your favourite RPG so it had guns, you know what I mean?

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, I'm merely pointing out that an RPG with guns is essentially the same as an RPG with bows and arrows.
Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site
Moving you to Game Design.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Should I focus on developing a standard 2d Medieval RPG or a Modern one?

Everyone knows what a standard medieval rpg is, and people have basically altered the main idea and produced all kinds of variations of an medieval rpg..

Now a modern rpg is one that you don't see alot. It will be centered on gang fights/gun fights... where gangs rule the streets. There will also be a big emphasis on cars, tuning, racing. Things to do will include general mining, flower picking, trash collecting, delivery services, hitman services)... Another focus will be player owned businesses (i.e. Gun Shop, Pizzaria... etc.)

So what do you think?

I think you;ve answered your own question. While both styles have a lot of potential (which is only really restricted by imagination and research) you seem a lot more enthusiastic about crafting a modern RPG, and you just can't beat enthusiasm for fueling the fires of creativity :D

GRAFFITI WRITER: Irrational Voice of the Damnedwww.graffitiwriter.co.uk
I've been pretty disappointed with all of the RPG games that have come out over the last 5-10 years. Even though the really bad ones seem to be based in fantasy settings, they all pretty much stink.

A modern setting would definitely be more interesting. Maybe it would allow you to focus on less dramatic events, such as solving a mystery, instead of saving the world.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement