• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
v0dKA

Python: looping over a list

This topic is 4014 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, In python, one can loop over a list (or a similar object) using this simple notation: for item in list: But let's say that you need to build a table that displays the current index, and the corresponding item inside the list. To do this, I adopt this much uglier notation:
for i in range(len(list)):
    print i, ':', list
Is there a better workaround? I feel like I'm back in C++ again when I do this.

Advertisement
list.index(item)

The only problem with that method is that it returns the lowest index for an item equivalent to the argument, so if your list contains multiple instances of a value, you have to track the last seen index. Why? Because index takes additional parameters:

list.index(item, i, j)

Returns the lowest k such that list[k] == item and i <= k <= j.

For the specific case of pairing the list items to the indices, however:

t = zip(list, range(len(list)))

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
list.index(item)

The only problem with that method is that it returns the lowest index for an item equivalent to the argument

Not to mention that finding an item in a list is a O(n) operation, which will slow down an iteration over a large list.

Quote:
For the specific case of pairing the list items to the indices, however:

t = zip(list, range(len(list)))

Plenty fast, but still ugly. The truth is that Python tends to err on the side of verbosity and only-one-way-to-do-it, eschewing the nifty little shortcuts of languages like Perl. The lack of a do/while construct is also frustrating, for example.

You deal, and you learn to take advantage of the tools that Python does offer, like zip, map, and lambda functions.

My Python is a bit rusty, but how about like this:
for i, v in enumerate(['tic', 'tac', 'toe']):
print i, v

or

for (index, item) in enumerate(items):
print index, item

and consequently pairing indices with the values is just:
print enumerate(items)
#or
t = enumerate(items)

where enumerate acts as a generator generating the pairs. The enumerate has to be wrapped to the list element if you want to have the list right away as enumerate uses lazy evaluation and evaluates the pair one at a time when needed (like this list(enumerate(items)).

I think this is the simplest (and most efficient?) way of pairing values with their indices.

[EDIT]Kylotan was a quicker on the looping part. [smile] It's no good to read something, openg the reply dialog and go to lunch. [smile][/EDIT]

Neat! Thanks for the suggestions. I've never seen the zip() and enumerate() functions, but after reading up on them, it definitely seems that they will be useful.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!