Windows 2000 and Direct X

Started by
3 comments, last by KwamiMatrix 22 years, 12 months ago
Hi everyone. I am currently using the Direct X 7.0 SDK on my software developemnt computer running Windows 98. I would like to know if there is a seperate SDK for Direct X that needs to be downloaded in order to write Direct X code for Windows 2000. I know that Windows 2000 has a different Direct X run time library than Windoes ME since 2000 is off the NT kernel and ME is of the 9x kernel, but what I am not sure of is whether or not there is a different Direct X SDK for Windows 2000 that I have to download. I need to know because since I am a senior in high school going to university next year, I will be getting my laptop, and I might want to get Windows 2000 instead of Windows ME since it is a faster OS. I also would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for a laptop. My absolute #1 choice right now is the Dell Inspiron 8000. I love this laptop, and will get the UXGA display and Geforce2Go options. I also like the Toshiba Satellite 2805-S402 with the Geforce2Go. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot. Edem Attiogbe
Edem Attiogbe
Advertisement
No, there isn''t a different SDK.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~mdill
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Direct X is the same for all Window platforms... 2K, 98, ME... dont matter .. what IS different is the way the drivers for the gfx card perform per each platform...

so just download the SDk and use it for all.. BTW if ytou want docs on DirectDraw7 ( it was dropped in DX 8 with the push for 3D only. ) you need to download the SDK for DX7.

GL
spacemadness
I have found that many of my DirectX programs have trouble with Win 2000, I am using Win 98, so I would like to know how to make them compatible too! However, this has only been with Visual Basic, when I use VC++, it seems to work with Win 2000 so maybe it''s just a VB issue.
Simon PriceSi@VBgames.co.ukwww.VBgames.co.uk
DirectX 8.0 performs better on Windows 2000 than it does on ME or 98, because DirectX 8.0 uses a hardware abstraction layer (HAL), just like Windows 2000, and Win98 and ME do not use HAL.
"This is stupid. I can't believe this! Ok, this time, there really IS a bug in the compiler."... 20 mins pass ..."I'M AN IDIOT!!!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement