PhysX: Failed to Create Actor

Started by
7 comments, last by hi_ruijun 16 years, 6 months ago
Hi everyone, in my project I am using PhysX as my physics engine.But after cooking convex shapes in a seperate application, I failed to create actors. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Related codes: NxConvexMeshDesc convexDesc; NxConvexShapeDesc convexShapeDesc; NxBodyDesc bodyDesc; convexShapeDesc.meshData = m_pNx->createConvexMesh(UserStream("physxbox.bin", true)); convexShapeDesc.localPose.t = NxVec3( 0, 0, 0 ); if (convexShapeDesc.meshData) cout<<"Succeed in Loading Data from File>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"<<endl; actorDesc.shapes.pushBack(&convexShapeDesc); actorDesc.body = &bodyDesc actorDesc.density = 1.0f; actorDesc.globalPose.t = nxvec;//position Nxvec3 actorDesc.globalPose.M = nxquat;//orientation quaternion if( actorDesc.isValid() ) cout<<"Actor Description is Valid>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"<<endl; m_pNxBox = m_pNxScene->createActor(actorDesc); if( m_pNxBox ) cout<<"NxBox Created>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"<<endl; else cout<<"Failed to Create NxBox>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"<<endl; -------------------------------------------------------------------------- when running, the message followed is displayed: Succeed in Loading Data from File>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Actor Description is Valid>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Failed to Create NxBox>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Help me, please! Any reply is appreciated!
Advertisement
maybe try to implement NxUserOutputStream.. this will help you to find what's wrong...

class PhysXErrorOutput : public NxUserOutputStream{    public:    void reportError(NxErrorCode e, const char* message, const char* file, int line)    {        cout << "Message: " << message << " File: " << file << " Line: " << line << endl;    }    NxAssertResponse reportAssertViolation(const char* message, const char* file, int line)    {        cout << "Message: " << message << " File: " << file << " Line: " << line << endl;        return NX_AR_CONTINUE;    }    void print(const char *message)    {        cout << "Message: " << message << endl;    }};

and then use it during creation of physics sdk:

static PhysXErrorOutput gPhysXError;//[...]m_PhysicsSDK = NxCreatePhysicsSDK( version, gPhysXAllocator, &gPhysXErrors );//[...]

[Edited by - dopelganger on October 8, 2007 6:10:46 AM]
I don't see anything obviously wrong with that code. So, the only question I can ask is...do you have the PhysX system software (drivers) installed? Not the SDK, but the system software? You must have the driver installed, or you will see runtime problems such as this.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Thanks for dopelganger and grhodes_at_work!

To dopelganger: I will have a try.

To grhodes_at_work: I have installed the newest PhysX System Software( PhysX_7.09.13), and those example programs with the PhysX sdk can run without error, so I suppose something must be wrong with my program?

I will try to find out!
-_-!!!!!!!

I think I've find the reason. In my program I try to create two or more actors using only one NxActorDesc:
------------------------------------------------------
NxActorDesc actorDesc;
m_pNxPlane = m_pNxScene->createActor(actorDesc);
m_pNxBox = m_pNxScene->createActor(actorDesc);
------------------------------------------------------
I thought, after creating an actor, the actorDesc was not needed any more, so I reused this actorDesc to create another actor, and failed here.
So I guess, this is the reason, hah?
-_-!!! PhysX's really eating me!

In the SDK documentary it says:
"...To avoid overly long parameter lists and receive aid in error checking, the SDK uses descriptor classes to pass creation parameters. The descriptor is a temporary variable only needed for the duration of the creation call. You can allocate it as a stack variable. ..."

But in my program, I failed when trying to create two or more actors using one NxActorDesc. Then I added error reporting, as dopelganger suggested. But alas, the runtime error disappeared! I don't know why.

Rookie...
Programmer I = new Programmer;
:-(
As you discovered, reusing that descriptor variable shouldn't cause problems. Afraid I can't suggest other possible causes without seeing more of your code. But, at least the error is gone now!?
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
No, he means the code from dopelganger only outputs via cout... Change it so it writes errors to a file. It's a very simple and easy change in the code and you won't lose the runtime errors PhysX is throwing.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Now I create NxActors in seperate functions, one NxActor per function, and no problems occur. Thanks, to everyone!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement