RPG/VideoGame Designers challenge

Started by
29 comments, last by AngelStar 22 years, 11 months ago
If you are as good as a designer as you say you are then Design a fantasy rpg and execute it to mass market using one of these subject matter. If you''re the shit this should be easy. You don''t have to participate, but non participation speaks about your skills, the first to be successful will be congragulated and deemed one of the greatest rpg designers of all time, and an award will be presented, by the now forming rpg designers alliance, and Im talking about making this work mass market folks (console, or PC) Cultures not based on Euro fantasy examples include Aztec Mayan Incan Egyptian Japanese Chinese Native American Ocean based only (Mermaids/Mermen) Or any other African Culture or other Asian Culture (Tibetan?) Not allowed: typical dragons, dwarves, knights, elves, trolls, ogres, or any other races familar to tolkien or D&D
Advertisement
Heh. Cheeky.

Check out Earnest Adam''s challenge that''s along similar lines.

Now, sir, I shall reverse your challenge: Anything you design for the mass market obviously has to take their desires to heart. Do you really think that it''s an accident that most cRPGs are medieval?

Dungeons & Dragons holds great sway not only on leagues of cRPG designers and would be designers, but also on the players.

A perfect example: Fallout vs. Baldur''s Gate. Fallout was an excellent cRPG, but failed to substantially help Interplay''s bottom line. BG came out, and hordes of D&D fanatics jumped on it because they adore the Tolkein universe and will (by and large) accept nothing else.

There are players out there who''ll play non-medieval RPGs, but they I believe are not in the majority.

(btw, I come at this from trying to design a science fiction cRPG, which seems to be as rare as cool, refreshing ice water in hell. )

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
How strict are we talking here?

Is the point to avoid typical cookie-cutter fantasy (d&d and countless others) or Europe itself? I''ve made arguments before for a fantasized Emperial England setting (Jules Verne, Arthur Conan Doyle, Space 1889, etc). What about other European settings, with more attention paid to historical mythology instead of the d&d mythos (Norwegian trolls, not the lame Tolkien version). Wanna play a Pict? (Actually would probably be cool. immediate ''M'' rating though... Definite lack of clothing - might sell for that reason alone ) Bathing in milk & blood to heal wounds...

So, for clarification: No Euro-fantasy or no d&d/Tolkien/generic-fantasy?

pwd

---
What makes you think I''m not going to like a goatse pic on my window? - nes8bit

E.A.R.E. To keep your children away from elephants!
Mmmm
Cool, refreshing ice water imported from hell.
That would really hit the spot right now....
Just because the church was wrong doesn't mean Galileo wasn't a heretic.It just means he was a heretic who was right.
I have to agree with Wavinator. If the RPG is going to be fantasy, then something that clips the edges of D&D is, really, necessary, in order to appeal to the mass market.

Also, I''d have to disagree with AngelStar''s strict classification. If you want to make something truly different then blend Aztec with Mayan. Blend Egyptian with Japanese.

Its a fantasy RPG, not a historical simulator. Mix and match ideas. My own current project has, quite shamelessly, nicked creatures from the mythology of just about every culture in the world (and then some).

Virtual Worldlets, the home of online worlds
Virtual Worldlets.net, the re-designed, re-built, and re-launched,
rapidly expanding home of online, persistent worlds
"Blend Egyptian with Japanese."

How about Chinese? According to Hong Kong action films, it''s a known fact that all ancient Egyptians speak Cantonese. :-)
--
TAZ
[ Flame Bait ]

Edited by - MadKeithV on April 26, 2001 3:18:49 AM
I am already mixing Ancient Greek with Inca and Aztek ... But that was my idea first... Nobody is theiving it!
There is some great mythology behind the Celtic people from Scotland and Ireland that has never really been used in many games, some of the stories of ancient monsters that roamed the higlands were pretty cool.

-F
--:D, F
I have a little bit of Celtic Mythology in it too coz of a lot of Katherine Kerr novels and recently Traci Hardings (Australian Author) ''Ancient Future'' trilogy got me thinking. I am thinking of reading up on Taliesin (Sp?) now... He sounds like a pretty funky guy

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement