Graphical Mathematics

Started by
1 comment, last by sympathy 22 years, 11 months ago
Long have I been frustrated on attempts of reading graphical programming books, like the Official Guide to Learning OpenGL. I see all these complex formulas, uses of trigonometric ratios, and strange mathematics symbols. I want to be a graphics programmer and I realize this is going to take some significant effort. So my questions are: 1) Where can I find books dealing with the mathematics appropriate for computer graphics? Like vectors, matrices, trigonometry, etc. 2) Where can I find a book dealing with simple physics a computer game would incorporate? Gravity, speed, etc. 3) Where can I start for graphics programming? I read alot about Computer Graphics Principles and Practice, but what do I need for that? Math knowledge, assembly? I just want to know where I can find math, physics and graphics books for starting. I want to be good, and I''m willing to put in the hours. Oh, and I know C/C++/STL/Win32 API well. It''s just the more intricate things with math that I''m not sure where to look for. Thank you very much, William O''Brien.
"The time has come", the Walrus said, "To speak of many things."
Advertisement
for the 3d stuff, a solid foundation in linear algebra is absolutely essential. Any books on linear algebra will have detailed discussions about vectors and matrices, and the operations you can perform on them. Get a good foundation in this material before anything else, b/c it will help you enormously when you start trying to do object/camera/perspective transformations. The vector stuff will also help to understand vertex/polygon normals, how lighting works, how bump-mapping works, and so on.

Goto : www.programmersheaven.com
Search for some 3D tutorial known as 3DICA , this has a mini book discussing vector math , matrix math , lighting , b splines...etc

Then , head for the gamedev.net mathematics section , and you''ll find a series of articles named " An introduction to 3D programming" which starts with the basics.

Generally , keep searching the net , you''ll find many great tutorials discussing all this stuff. I personally started learning Linear algebra (and still am) from the net , and i''ve been able to figure out how all the transformations work (math is pretty easy provided that you like it) and do mine of course.

Good Luck

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement