• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gjaegy

rendering lightnings

This topic is 4006 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am looking for a technique to achieve fast rendering of lightnings. I haven't found a lot of resource of the internet. I am targeting DX9 hardware. I have seen some nice implementation in the VIP2 demo (demo scene), although the lightnings don't have any branch. There is also a paper from Nishita, but it is more about cloud lighting. Does anyone knows some good technique to efficiently render lightnings ? Thanks for any help, Gregory

Advertisement
You could try to use a line-mesh built dynamically with a L-system.
Then use a glow effect for the L-system lighting bolt tree.

Doesnt look that bad http://www.selleri.org/Blender/tuts/Lightnings.pdf
and could be easily done realtime.

thank you guys for the answers. I will have a look at them.

Concerning the nvidia sample, I guess I can port it back to DX9 by moving the GS work to the CPU. I am going to see if that is possible or not (performance-wise).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!