a nice GUI library for C++

Started by
10 comments, last by ayampanggang 16 years, 6 months ago
I'm just looking for a nice GUI library that will allow me to build applications easier than they are using the standard C++ library. Any ideas? I would much appreciate it. Thanks,
Advertisement
There is a whole bunch (I assume you look for something cross-platform here...). Qt and WXWindows are pretty popular.
Quote:Original post by Numb3rz
I'm just looking for a nice GUI library that will allow me to build applications easier than they are using the standard C++ library.

What do you mean? It sounds like you want some sort of drag-and-drop application builder. Or do you want a library to aid in adding a GUI to an existing application? And what do you mean by "easier than they are using the standard C++ library"? The C++ standard library doesn't have anything GUI specific in it, unless I'm mistaken.

Also, in the future please don't cross post.
Quote:Original post by Driv3MeFar
I'm just looking for a nice GUI library that will allow me to build applications easier than they are using the standard C++ library.

What do you mean? It sounds like you want some sort of drag-and-drop application builder. Or do you want a library to aid in adding a GUI to an existing application? And what do you mean by "easier than they are using the standard C++ library"? The C++ standard library doesn't have anything GUI specific in it, unless I'm mistaken.

Also, in the future please don't cross post.

I don't see how you got drag and drop from my post. I don't want know RAD Program Devkit I just want a library that is easy to work with when developing GUI Applications. Like Allegro, SDL is to 2D Graphics, or OpenGL, DirectX is to 3D Graphics.

I have used wxWidgets a little, and it seemed like a good choice. Maybe GTK+? I have never used it directly, only through wxWidgets. Both of these are cross-platform if that makes a difference to you.
I don't see how you got drag and drop from my post. I don't want know RAD Program Devkit I just want a library that is easy to work with when developing GUI Applications. Like Allegro, SDL is to 2D Graphics, or OpenGL, DirectX is to 3D Graphics.

My mistake, this is what confused me:
I'm just looking for a nice GUI library that will allow me to build applications

On topic, I recommend wxWidgets. I use it at work and find it powerful enough for everything I need and well documented.
Qt beats wxWidgets and GTK+ handsdown. The SDK documentation is superb. Plus, the resulting code is clean. Can't say the same about wxWidgets and GTK+.
It even comes with a GUI designer and a huge load of examples you can try and learn from.
Quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
Qt beats wxWidgets and GTK+ handsdown. The SDK documentation is superb. Plus, the resulting code is clean. Can't say the same about wxWidgets and GTK+.
It even comes with a GUI designer and a huge load of examples you can try and learn from.

Absolutely agree if you're developing open-source GPL'd applications.

Otherwise...wx = free, Qt = not.
Depends on the platform you're targeting, I guess. As said previously, Qt and wxWidgets are very popular. Gtk+ is a C library but it's very popular on UN*X-like systems, much less on Windows or Mac. I know of two C++ bindings: gtkmm and GFC (Gtk+ Foundation Classes).

There's also the lesser known Ultimate++, a cross-platform toolkit for Windows and X11. I don't know if it's portable to Mac OS, nor if it supports non-x86 architectures (eg PowerPC, SPARC, etc). Then you've got FLTK and the FOX Toolkit. They are much smaller than Qt and wxWidgets, providing only widgets (AFAIK) and nothing like XML, networking, SQL, etc. I don't know if they have a "native" look and feel, or if they enforce their own.
IUP is pretty easy to use, it's basically a set of bindings that simplifies using either the windows api or gtk/motif depending on your target system.

http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement